General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Jax2
(learned) Wed 09-Apr-14 13:07:55
Print Post

What have they done?

[link to this post]

According to the East Anglian Daily Times the Suffolk BDUK have installed a "headend" in Saxmundham which will allow faster broadband to be available to nearly 5,500 propeties in communities across the area including Framlingham, Aldeburgh,Leiston and Wickham Market.

This is not the area I live in but I am curious to know what they have done. The "headend" was apparently made to order in China and is one of three that will eventually be installed across Suffolk.

So I am assuming that the "headend" is a distribution point of some sort? Wireless, fibre distribution or what?

Edited by Jax2 (Wed 09-Apr-14 13:17:05)

Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Wed 09-Apr-14 13:22:13
Print Post

Re: What have they done?

[re: Jax2] [link to this post]

The headend is the handover or connection point between the Openreach FTTC/P network and the CPs ( eg Sky, BT Wholesale, TalkTalk) networks.
Standard User Jax2
(learned) Wed 09-Apr-14 13:53:40
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Thanks though still a little confused in that in places like Leiston the exchange has already got fibre so must already be connected to an existing headend somewhere.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Wed 09-Apr-14 14:11:02
Print Post

[re: Jax2] [link to this post]

Saxmundham headend had been live for some time.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 09-Apr-14 14:20:47
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre-cornwall/

on pages 6 and 7 has pictures of a mythical headend, you can even see the fibres from individual cabinets plugged into the kit.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to