General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User adrian109
(regular) Wed 09-Apr-14 14:01:39
Print Post

Accessing HG612 modem with laptop via wireless and not LAN2

[link to this post]

I want to be able to access my HG612 stats from any computer on my home network so don't really want to have to plug a laptop into LAN2 everytime I want to query the stats.

I knew the unlocked HG612 I purchased from a well known online auction site would have the default IP address 192.168.1.1

So in prepartion for this I configured my Netgear router to have a static IP address 192.168.1.2 and changed the DHCP range on the router to 192.168.1.3 - 192.168.1.254

With the HG612's LAN1 port connected to Netgear's (Cable/Fibre Broadband) port I thought I would be able to access the web interface from my wireless laptop.

I was wrong I can't!

The only way I can access the HG612's web interface is to plug the laptop directly into the LAN2 port and set a static IP address (192.168.1.100) on the laptop.

I'm sure I've read a post somewhere maybe on here where someone has managed to get access to the HG612 via a wireless connection.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks.
Standard User smouty
(regular) Wed 09-Apr-14 14:15:08
Print Post

Re: Accessing HG612 modem with laptop via wireless and not L

[re: adrian109] [link to this post]

Configure the IP address of the HG612 to one on the same range as your LAN and plug a 2nd ethernet cable from LAN2 to you router wink
Standard User adrian109
(regular) Wed 09-Apr-14 14:19:02
Print Post

[re: smouty] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by smouty:
Configure the IP address of the HG612 to one on the same range as your LAN and plug a 2nd ethernet cable from LAN2 to you router wink

I've done it all except for plugging in an extra ethernet cable from LAN2 to the router! blush

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 09-Apr-14 15:17:08
Print Post

It might have been me, because I've done similar.

HG62 is 192.168.1.1, router is 192.168.1.254, DHCP range is 2-253.

As smouty says, all you need now is an Ethernet cable from modem LAN2 to any LAN port of the router.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 09-Apr-14 15:25:17
Print Post

As the others have said: Patch Lead from LAN2 on the modem to a spare port on the LAN side of the router (or switch if you ever get one) and that is all you need.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User JB68
(regular) Wed 09-Apr-14 19:06:01
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

How stupid am I, I always wondered if there was a way to access the stats without connecting directly to LAN2, never thought to add the [censored] device to the router.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 09-Apr-14 19:18:36
Print Post

[re: JB68] [link to this post]

LOL smile

It's obvious once you know, like many things.

It's also possible to use the HG612 as a modem/router, because that's what it is but in bridged mode as supplied. BatBoy was the first to do that. There's a lengthy thread somewhere about his journey to success. No wireless of course. But switches and WAPs could obviously be added in.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 09-Apr-14 19:23:38
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

You mean this? http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4109217-hua...

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 09-Apr-14 20:09:54
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Exactly smile.

Thanks.

Print Thread

Jump to