General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User PaulSmith
(newbie) Wed 09-Apr-14 15:31:32
Print Post

BT FTTP... pricing?

[link to this post]

Hi,

I'm lucky enough to be in a FTTP area. I've enquired about the service and started an order process with my local BT business office but there seems to be inconsistency in what they're telling me.

Does anybody have any links to BT FTTP pricing? Or do you have the service yourself already, if so what are you paying?

Cheers,
- Paul.
Standard User PaulSmith
(newbie) Wed 09-Apr-14 15:48:26
Print Post

Re: BT FTTP... pricing?

[re: PaulSmith] [link to this post]

Found a document that seems to confirm what one department at BT has told me:
http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/pricin...

Weirdly prices have been lower and contracts have been for 24months but that stops on the 31/04/2014 and then the connection charge goes up, the contract is 36 months and rental almost doubles!

Product is so new, nobody at BT seems to know the actual pricing and contract length. I have it in writing that its £150/month under a 24 month contract but now somebody else phoned and has told me what appears to be in that document.. frown

Can I hold BT to the original contract I signed or do they have the right to just up the price after I've ordered?
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 09-Apr-14 16:00:22
Print Post

You need to clarify whether it is FTTP on demand you are trying to order, or FTTP. They are two totally different products when it comes to installation and pricing.

FTTPod is only available in certain FTTC enabled areas and prices have just been bumped up substantially. They basically install a fibre from your nearest aggregation node to your property, so you also have substantial installation costs.

FTTP is deployed to cover an area instead of FTTC, installation costs I believe are the same as FTTC, and pricing is the same for like l for like FTTC products.

Perhaps post your postcode to clarify so we can check on the wholesale checker to see whats available to you, or post the results, it needs to be done by an address or telephone number.

Edited by R0NSKI (Wed 09-Apr-14 16:02:20)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 09-Apr-14 16:24:52
Print Post

Also, are you talking specifically about "Business" products, as opposed to residential/SOHO?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User PaulSmith
(newbie) Wed 09-Apr-14 16:26:39
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

HI, thanks.

It's definitely FTTPod that I've ordered. I think I've ordered just as the price increase is about to come in... but does that affect existing customers or just new ones? If I've already ordered does that not make me an existing customer?

Price increase would make it beyond my budget (extra £50 / month). £150/month is bad enough, that extra £50 just makes it really silly money.
Standard User PaulSmith
(newbie) Wed 09-Apr-14 16:27:57
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I've ordered a business product... normally stick to those because of support and less throttling, etc. (In my experience).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 09-Apr-14 16:29:30
Print Post

Down to what the contract says will happen i.e. is it a fixed price for three years, or are there conditions that allow for price changes.

If it is FoD then you will have ordered the 330 Mbps product and my understanding is the price rise on the monthly fee will also apply, but by getting the order in early you benefit from the lower cost install stuff still.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 09-Apr-14 16:41:51
Print Post

So you aren't in an FTTP area tongue smile. You are in an FTTC area, which has access to FTTPoD. Not the same at all.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User PaulSmith
(newbie) Wed 09-Apr-14 16:48:27
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Andrew,

That sounds like it is the case. Big commitment for three years. I have somebody phoning me back so I'll be sure to post back with the outcome.
Standard User equiton
(learned) Wed 09-Apr-14 17:15:52
Print Post

This is the price I recievved this morning from BT Local Business for Fibre on Demand. It took a 4 phone calls over a 2 week period to get this response.
£500 connection

£200 per month rental

36 month contract

Survey to determine excess construction and distance based charging

this is the openreach price list http://goo.gl/xWOa4O
Big differance in the monthly rental charge

Those to me are the prices for a product you do not want to sell. For FTTPod to be available you must be connected to an FTTC cabinet, so why would somebody spend so much more? The odd situation like ours where we are connected to an FTTC cabinet but are too far away for the service, excess construction and distance based charging plus £200 a month? That can easily pass £20,000 over 3 years

Edited by equiton (Wed 09-Apr-14 17:18:05)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to