General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Speccy
(newbie) Thu 10-Apr-14 08:58:54
Print Post

Do they have to replace the existing exctension cable?

[link to this post]

I'm getting BT Infinity 2 installed next week. At the moment I'm on a bog-standard ADSL connection, with the master socket in the hall.

From this socket I have an extension cable about 10 metres long, going under carpets, around doorways, etc to my desk. When the BT engineer comes, I understand he has to change the faceplate of the master socket. My question is, does he also have to replace the extension cable I'm currently using? Just wondering, because if it does need replacing, it will be a bit of a pain, as it's nailed down and goes behind furniture etc.

Thanks.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 10-Apr-14 09:25:27
Print Post

Re: Do they have to replace the existing exctension cable?

[re: Speccy] [link to this post]

He does not have to and neither do you. If you have ordered a data extension kit then YOU will need to move all the furniture, lift carpets and replace it all afterwards, you cannot expect that to be done for you.

You could leave it as is, and wire appropriately ensuring filters are in place where required or use teh filter at the master and run a data pair and a voice pair in the installed cable to a combination BT & $J45 face plate. Your speeds may not be as fast as your line will support but it will work.

An afterthought - what type of extension bale is it? The above assumes it is reasonable quality twisted pair CW1308. If not and it is typical flat extension cable then you may have problems.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Speccy
(learned) Thu 10-Apr-14 09:42:15
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
He does not have to and neither do you. If you have ordered a data extension kit then YOU will need to move all the furniture, lift carpets and replace it all afterwards, you cannot expect that to be done for you.

I haven't ordered a data extension kit, I don't recall being given the option when ordering from the BT site.

You could leave it as is, and wire appropriately ensuring filters are in place where required or use teh filter at the master and run a data pair and a voice pair in the installed cable to a combination BT & $J45 face plate. Your speeds may not be as fast as your line will support but it will work.

I was hoping to leave it as it is, and just be able to plug it into the upgraded master socket. I'm not that bothered about any loss in speed. I've managed with the speed loss on my current ADSL line that the extension cable gives.

An afterthought - what type of extension bale is it? The above assumes it is reasonable quality twisted pair CW1308. If not and it is typical flat extension cable then you may have problems.

No idea, I'm not that much of a tecchie with things like this. It's a cable from the master socket, into which the phone and router plug in to. I'll just have to wait to see what the engineer says next week.

Thanks.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 10-Apr-14 10:53:44
Print Post

Is the extension cable FLAT or ROUND ? and who installed it?

M H C

Standard User Speccy
(learned) Thu 10-Apr-14 11:05:26
Print Post

It's flat, pretty much like this one: http://www.shop.bt.com/images/product/uni2/DigitalCo...

I bought and installed it myself about 6.5 years ago when we moved into our new house.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Thu 10-Apr-14 11:08:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by Speccy:
From this socket I have an extension cable about 10 metres long, going under carpets, around doorways, etc to my desk.
Yuk. So you're adding an extra 10 metres of wiring to the copper you already have outside. Not such a big deal with ADSL but for FTTC that could be a significant %ge of the distance.

The best idea would be to locate the modem in the hallway as close as possible to the socket then use Ethernet to connect it back to the rest of your LAN. That way you have the shortest possible distance for the VDSL signals to travel, less write to pig up interference from appliances and therefore the optimum connection speed.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 10-Apr-14 11:29:03
Print Post

A high probability that the pairs are not twisted pair and a good chance they may be even low quality Al with Cu tinning rather than copper.

You may be fine using it, you may not and as you are paying more to go faster with VDSL2 why hold it back.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 10-Apr-14 11:36:08
Print Post

Don't like those ... prone to noise pick up and low quality. Fine on voice, marginal on ADSL, **** on VDSL (Infinity).

As you have not ordered a data extension kit you will be out of luck, but try asking te Tech if he has a spare one and maybe 10m of CW1308. Upgrading it yourself is not too difficult, just time consuming moving everything.

Once the install is complete, see what the results are like and then decide if you are happy or need to improve it.

M H C

Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Thu 10-Apr-14 12:15:19
Print Post

Sorry to hijack this thread slightly but I also wanted to know how the Openreach engineer will install Fibre (80/20 service) in my home in a few weeks - ordered via TalkTalk Business. Our master socket is in a very awkward location so absolutely no chance to locate the fibre modem there. A few metres away i have an extension socket where the current router is plugged into. I have an ADSL Nation XTF-85 faceplate installed on this extension and get no difference on ADSL2+ sync speeds between master test socket and this extension so this indicates i have no wiring issues. Does that mean the engineer would use the existing extension faceplate? I'm only 50m or so away from the FTTC cab so hopefully should sync at the full 80/20 smile

--------------------------------
TalkTalkBusiness LLU 17 meg
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 10-Apr-14 12:37:33
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

If there are NO phones or wires connected to the true master other than the lead going to the ADSL Nation faceplate then you should be fine.

Ideal world the existing master would be removed, replaced by a junction box and master located at the existing location.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to