General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User simplegnome
(newbie) Thu 10-Apr-14 17:22:38
Print Post

BDUK cabinets in Virgin Media areas

[link to this post]

I'd guess they're not supposed to be doing this? Cambridgeshire appear to be having cabinets installed on streets with cable. If there's any connected to that cabinet without Virgin, aren't they supposed to work with Virgin to get it done?

"Moat Lane, Melbourn, Cambridgeshire
Works Start: 30 Apr
End: 09 May

Low impact, delays unlikely
Description : (PCP10) BDUK. Install 1m of 1 way poly duct in Footway,Install 3m of 1 way poly duct in Verge,Provide 1 Cabinet and base (NGA cabinets)...."

Post code: SG8 6EH
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 10-Apr-14 18:46:00
Print Post

Re: BDUK cabinets in Virgin Media areas

[re: simplegnome] [link to this post]

Are you sure that all of the premises served by PCP10 have access to VM or is it perhaps just those premises in that street?

I am unaware of any scheme where BT is supposed to work with VM to enable all premises in VM areas to have access to VM. It certainly isn't the case in London where there are many thousands of properties with no access to VM despite other properties in the same street having access to VM.
Standard User Fastman2
(regular) Thu 10-Apr-14 19:56:56
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

bduK Monies can only be spent in poscodes where thre is no commercial coverage so if c cb covered an number of postcoded and one was VM already and 6 or 7 were not then the cab would be classified as white and the area could recieve BDUK monies

the OMR (open martket Review) identified at postcodes which areas where covered / not covered by commercial Bt/ Virgin) to understand wherre BDUK monies could be spent

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 10-Apr-14 20:38:47
Print Post

[re: Fastman2] [link to this post]

The EU State Aid Rules do allow for some degree of overlap.

The usual interpretation from lay people is that it means over lap per cabinet, but looking at the roll-out, I think projects are dealing with higher levels of coverage. i.e. different interpretations of vague rules from the EU

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 11-Apr-14 01:51:20
Print Post

[re: Fastman2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Fastman2:
bduK Monies can only be spent in poscodes where thre is no commercial coverage so if c cb covered an number of postcoded and one was VM already and 6 or 7 were not then the cab would be classified as white and the area could recieve BDUK monies
Exactly, hence my question asking the extent of the VM coverage or whether it was just the one street. The cab can be classified as white if only a small proportion of the properties served have access to VM.
Standard User digitalis
(newbie) Sun 13-Apr-14 01:18:24
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

What is BDUK, why is it used? Also a lot of Romsey in Hampshire has VM available yet I see on roadworks.org that BDUK fttc cabinets are due to be installed this month. Cab 5 especially, all of the road that it serves is VM cabled up, weird eh?
Standard User digitalis
(newbie) Sun 13-Apr-14 02:19:13
Print Post

[re: digitalis] [link to this post]

Cab 4 isn't in the BDUK rollout, no FTTC and no VM available here either, how very odd this BDUK planning is...
Standard User Fastman2
(regular) Sun 13-Apr-14 09:23:41
Print Post

[re: digitalis] [link to this post]

not really strange att all

this suggest provides that CAB4 (areacoverage) is viable for nobody -- no VM, Not viable for Commercial and not good value for BDUK (so no BDUK build) is it a new developement awhere postoe not visbile at OMR status - or is it just a small cab area which hs low premises count and high delployment costs - as an aside community could private fund with openreach directly se superfast-openreach.co.uk FAQ's Rural Broadband

Edited by Fastman2 (Sun 13-Apr-14 09:25:58)

Print Thread

Jump to