General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Michael_Chare
(committed) Fri 11-Apr-14 17:37:37
Print Post

Where do I find details of cabinet upgrades to FTTC?

[link to this post]

The Seal exchange in Kent (NDSEA) is due to be upgraded to FTTC by 30th June as part of the Kent BDUK plans.

There are road works near the church in Seal which probably relate to the upgrade of a BT cabinet there.

How do I tell what plans there are, if any, to upgrade cabinet 3 to which I am connected? The cabinet is located in Park Lane opposite the turning to Parkfield (road). There is 5km of cable between me and the cabinet, so any upgrade may not make much difference to my life.

Michael Chare

Edited by Michael_Chare (Fri 11-Apr-14 17:41:12)

Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 12-Apr-14 00:04:58
Print Post

Re: Where do I find details of cabinet upgrades to FTTC?

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
There is 5km of cable between me and the cabinet, so any upgrade may not make much difference to my life.

It will make zero difference, so isn't worth worrying about the rest of the answer. That's just too far for VDSL2 to carry, even if you have thicker cable than the norm.

Unless, that is, there is a significant cluster of properties around you, and you all have that 5km from the same cabinet. Then it might be worth installing an FTTRN cabinet for you.

By significant, I suspect I mean 40-50+ properties.

If that's the case, then the BDUK team are the best place for contact. Keeping your eyes on the FTTRN pilot in North Yorkshire, when it happens, may be a good bet.
(committed) Sat 12-Apr-14 01:43:49
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

I would still like to know whether the cabinet will be upgraded as there is also a Gigaclear project which covers the same area.I hope to use the Gigaclear network.

Michael Chare

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zom22
(regular) Sat 12-Apr-14 10:49:18
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

To find out you could try
1. Asking you local council/looking at the BDUK pages
2. Looking though all the recent planning applications in your area online to look for a recent BTOR statutory notice under their code powers for upgrading cabinets in the whole area of your exchange and finding out if your cab' is one......yes it all takes a lot of time.

That said, as wwwwombat says it's all a bit irrelevant at your distance!

Personally I'd go for Gigaclear every day even if the sodding BT cab was 500 yards away.
Why?
Full fibre direct to your house - no speed effects of distance.
Symmetrical upload as well as download speed
A brand new network - so virtually no faults
Transfer your voice phone to them though Vonage and it becomes cheaper overall than BT/infinity/phone as by doing this you would not longer pay BT line rental.

PS I'm on a cab which is not being upgraded under BDUK and serves around 200 residences. So when people talk about sufficient numbers to make it worthwhile to do something about a cab' bear this in mind.
Part of the reason it is not being done I suspect is because the population density is too spread out and too far away from the cab so even if it was converted the % of lines able to really get true SFBB would be quite small. So basically a lot of public money for only a few residents.
What if any the solution may be in the future is anyone's guess - probably do nothing - ever.
(committed) Sat 12-Apr-14 19:15:22
Print Post

[re: zom22] [link to this post]

Thanks. I signed up for Gigaclear in Feb 2013. Today I was held up for some road works which I think were the first sign of physical work for the Gigaclear Underriver project in Kent. It will be interesting to see whether the BT Cabinet to which I am connected gets upgraded with BDUK funding.

Michael Chare
  Print Thread

Jump to