General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Sat 12-Apr-14 13:40:12
Print Post

Mill Lane, Alton, Hants

[link to this post]

Mill Lane in Alton is predominately business units but does have a few homes at one end. At each end of the road are FTTC cabinets proclaiming Superfast Broadband has arrived. At one end is cabinet 13 but I can't see the number on the cabinet at the other end.

Checking with our own business numbers shows that all our lines are connected to cabinet 31 but I have no idea where that cabinet is. However, that apart, it appears there are no plans to upgrade that cabinet, well not for the foreseeable future anyway.

We have ADSL2 and for domestic purposes that would no doubt be fine but with 34 connected devices it is not surprising that connection to the outside world are particularly frustrating. I suppose an improvement is speeds would be achieved with bonding but really that is a solution akin to wallpapering over the cracks.

So I guess it is a case of looking into some kind of leased line connection or maybe FTTP but I have no idea who to approach to get the ball rolling or whether pricing will be a huge barrier. Feedback here would be most welcomed.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 12-Apr-14 13:51:15
Print Post

Re: Mill Lane, Alton, Hants

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

If cabinet 31 is not listed for upgrade to FTTC or FTTP, then it cannot have FTTPoD either, (that being what I think you meant by FTTP).

I suggest you check the full address of a domestic property near to the unknown-number cabinet and see it that gives a clue to its number. If it is 31 then you could think abut a joint residents and businesses campaign, if there are no BDUK or similar plans.

If it isn't cabinet 31, then with luck one of the posters here will be able to trace where 31 is. Then again, a campaign perhaps.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User smouty
(regular) Mon 14-Apr-14 08:27:01
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I'm not sure a campaign would work in this instance as the majority of Alton is fibre enabled.
Have you tried asking any of the businesses what they do?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 14-Apr-14 10:43:17
Print Post

[re: smouty] [link to this post]

Do you think I should? tongue

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Mon 14-Apr-14 13:07:43
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

This matter has moved on considerably by tracking down and speaking to the right person at OR. It looks as though it will have to be a community project to get FTTC as there are no plans ever to supply the service to business units along Mill Lane. I have been given advice and a task list to get things moving but unless there is enthusiasm for other business units to have improved broadband connectivity, we will be left dreaming on what might have been.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 14-Apr-14 13:36:03
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.155156,-0.958748,3...

Two cabinets in one photo, with nice big numbers too.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Mon 14-Apr-14 13:50:20
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.155156,-0.958748,3...

Two cabinets in one photo, with nice big numbers too.

Yes, thank you for this. About an hour ago OR were in touch to say where the cabinet was but it is nice to see a picture nevertheless. Our distance to the cabinet suggest we would get 50mbps if it were FTTC enabled.

I just find it remarkable that the bean counters driving the commercial rollout and BDUK both consider that the customers served by that cabinet make it unviable to upgrade.
  Print Thread

Jump to