General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Rhole
(newbie) Tue 15-Apr-14 09:19:55
Print Post

Cabinet available but Exchange coming soon.

[link to this post]

Hey all.

The cabinet that serves my house was 'enabled' for Fibre sometime last week. BTWholesale checker shows available now. Checkers for all ISPs show available. But, my Exchange is coming soon. I've been through a number of post codes and it seems this cabinet is the only one enabled so far in the village. Estimeated dates are between end of June 2014 and September 2014.

I just wondered if anyone knows if I order a Fibre connection from somewhere am I destined to be let down here? Phoned around a few ISPs and all say it is available.

Is this kind of thing common? Do cabinets get enabled and show on availability checkers long before exchanges are 'accepting orders'?

Barnsley council have completed major street light and pavement works on my street in the last 3 weeks, so I guess Openreach took advantage of this.

Exchange is Goldthorpe. and it is cabinet 13. according to BT Wholesale.

Edited by Rhole (Tue 15-Apr-14 09:21:08)

Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Tue 15-Apr-14 09:28:03
Print Post

Re: Cabinet available but Exchange coming soon.

[re: Rhole] [link to this post]

The where and when site isn't kept up to date.
If the availability checkers show it available for your line there won't be a problem.
I suspect there are several cabinets live already

Edited by Ribble (Tue 15-Apr-14 09:30:18)

Standard User DonnieDio2000
(learned) Tue 15-Apr-14 17:37:59
Print Post

Mines the same, my address is listed as available but my exchange still says coming soon. I've ordered Sky Fibre Unlimited yesterday anyway and so far it seems to be going through ok. I'll post here with any updates.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Rhole
(newbie) Wed 16-Apr-14 10:43:32
Print Post

[re: DonnieDio2000] [link to this post]

That would be great thanks.

Was unsure about transfering from a service I have who don't do cheap enough FTTC packages (business ISP but home user). Their DSL is cheap though. Didn't wan't to be stuck transfering for no reason.
(learned) Sun 20-Apr-14 15:33:33
Print Post

Phoned Sky for an update on my order since it hadn't been updated online. They say they expect my line to be enabled by the 30th of this month and they're sending the hub out on the 24th.

Edited by DonnieDio2000 (Sun 20-Apr-14 15:34:48)

(learned) Thu 24-Apr-14 21:04:54
Print Post

My Fibre hub was delivered today, so it should only be a matter of a few days until its activated (supposed to be the 30th of April). My exchange still says 30th of May but I'm definitely getting fibre before that anyway smile
(learned) Wed 30-Apr-14 23:54:57
Print Post

Just to update this as I said I would. Got home from work today and its been activated. Openreach website still lists my cabinet as coming soon (in late May) but I most certainly have it now smile

Line Rate - Upstream (Kbps):9995
Line Rate - Downstream (Kbps):39998
Line Attenuation - 9.3 dB
Noise Margin - 30.2 dB

First speed test is:

31.99Mbps download
9.67Mbps upload
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 30-Apr-14 23:58:40
Print Post

Feels good, doesn't it! smile

But - is that testing wirelessly? If so, you may be pleasantly surprised by what you get wired.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
(learned) Thu 01-May-14 01:02:17
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Wired, I did think it was a bit lower than expected with that sync but it just felt wrong to complain about something that's still so much faster than the 3.8Mbps speed I've been getting before the upgrade smile

Seems it was just the server I was using though. Was getting anything from 27Mbps to 32Mbps on the default server, tried a different one and got 35Mbps which I think is a bit closer to what I should expect. That was on Speedtest.net, tried the Thinkbroadband tester and it gave me an average of 36.42Mbps on the httpx6 test.

Edited by DonnieDio2000 (Thu 01-May-14 01:09:32)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 01-May-14 01:18:31
Print Post

That sounds better smile. May also be BT congestion.

With the thinkbroadband test, it's a good idea to post a link to the large graph. Quite a few deductions can sometimes be made from the shape.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to