General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Hoolay88
(newbie) Tue 15-Apr-14 12:01:23
Print Post

Router recommendations

[link to this post]

Not looking to spend too much possibly around £60-£80 mark, however if there are no good routers in this bracket then id say a cap of £150.

Wireless is of no importance as it will be mainly used for gaming via RJ45. All i require from it is to have at least 1 GigE port, not effect speed through put and ping times and be future proof for vectoring and 30a profiles when/if ever either of those happen.

(i currently use OR Modem + HH3 over a fiber connection)

Possible options at the moment:
-Home Hub 5 (£45 upgrade)
-Asus RT-N66U (£99)
-Asus DSL-N66U (£125)
-Netgear R6300 (£130)
-Netgear R7000 (£170) Really dont feel like i want to pay nearly £200 for a router tho which is why im searching for good quality cheaper options

Thanks for your help smile
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Tue 15-Apr-14 15:29:31
Print Post

Re: Router recommendations

[re: Hoolay88] [link to this post]

If you intend on keeping the OR modem (which seems reasonable) then vectoring support is irrelevant in your router. That's the modem's problem and has nothing to do with your LAN.

I have a Billion 6300nx and it seems to be doing a good job. It also supports dual-stack IPv6 which offers a degree of future proofing. The UI is a bit odd but does the job.

http://www.billion.uk.com/product/4G-LTE/BiPAC6300NX...

I've no idea what the wireless side is like because I have a WAP downstairs that I use. It is currently a bit above your budget at nigh-on £90 but I went through three routers before settling on this one. I can attest that it will run 24/7 for at least 4 months without a crash or reboot.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 15-Apr-14 16:15:33
Print Post

I'm currently using a TP-Link WDR-3600 dual-band router, on top of the OR modem. It seems to be fine. If it weren't good enough, my next choice would be one of the Asus RT-N66U units.

At some point soon, I need to do something better with family protection on the internet (I might not like government censorship of the internet, but I'm fine with Dad doing it wink ). One of my prime checks was for a device I could load DD-WRT onto, to aid me in my evil ways.

I've seen enough reports of the HH5 rebooting to be wary of it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 15-Apr-14 16:26:39
Print Post

Are you the type of person who is comfortable editing a router config file? If so the EdgeRouter Lite is cheap and fast(PPPoE hardware offload is currently in beta). tongue
Standard User Hoolay88
(newbie) Tue 15-Apr-14 17:11:24
Print Post

[re: Spud2003] [link to this post]

That really does look appealing and i do class myself as relatively clued up, no issues going into routers before and changing things around but this looks a whole new level of knowledge needed which i dont think i have. I'd feel comfortable if i could find guides to assist my setup. I'll keep digging around and try to find some, but without guides or some assistance i dont think id feel comfortable at that level of tinkering (all my previous router settings has just been done from within a routers settings page not through commands)

Do look really good though and for £85 is a bargain
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 15-Apr-14 17:19:04
Print Post

I can give you a working config file that I used with Plusnet if that's any help(PM me if you want to take a look at it - you just have to enter a new username and password). Might also be useful to take a look at the community forums. The router does have a web interface but I mainly used the command line.
  Print Thread

Jump to