General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User iluka
(newbie) Tue 15-Apr-14 22:00:45
Print Post

Please help: Cabinet needs alternate location?

[link to this post]

Hi, I've been waiting for fibre broadband for a couple of years now but so far nothing. My exchange is all up and running and most of the surrounding roads have it but according to the OpenReach site there's a problem with my cabinet. The information it gives is below. Does anyone have any idea who I could contact to find out if there are plans to get around the issue? It's been at the same status for over a year now.

many thanks.

This marker shows cabinet: P39
Which is linked to exchange: BARNET
Please note: This is the intended area for the cabinet that will provide fibre broadband services to your postcode. Unfortunately there are other underground utility services in the approved location for this cabinet. We are seeking an alternative location.

When we plan where to locate a cabinet it is done on the basis of underground utility records (for example gas, water and wastewater) available to us at the time. It is rare and unfortunate, but in the case of this cabinet the records were not complete or incorrect and we cannot install our cables in the position originally planned. We are therefore looking for an alternative solution but this will take some time. We are sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Wed 16-Apr-14 08:27:07
Print Post

Re: Please help: Cabinet needs alternate location?

[re: iluka] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by iluka:
Does anyone have any idea who I could contact to find out if there are plans to get around the issue?
From the very text you posted:

"This marker shows cabinet: P39
Which is linked to exchange: BARNET
Please note: This is the intended area for the cabinet that will provide fibre broadband services to your postcode. Unfortunately there are other underground utility services in the approved location for this cabinet. We are seeking an alternative location.

When we plan where to locate a cabinet it is done on the basis of underground utility records (for example gas, water and wastewater) available to us at the time. It is rare and unfortunate, but in the case of this cabinet the records were not complete or incorrect and we cannot install our cables in the position originally planned. We are therefore looking for an alternative solution but this will take some time. We are sorry for any inconvenience this has caused."

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User iluka
(newbie) Wed 16-Apr-14 08:45:13
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

I think it's standard holding text. It's been like that for at least 18 months with no sign of update. My worry is that for a small road with only 15 or so houses it's not worth their while to address the issue.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User hippyharry
(regular) Wed 16-Apr-14 08:50:27
Print Post

Send an enquiry to your local MP and ask about it. They'll be able to get an answer for you.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 16-Apr-14 09:09:27
Print Post

If just 15 houses on the cabinet then I would be shocked that it was considered for an upgrade

A lot of the delay will be rather than spending weeks of a planners time figuring out your cabinet they are busy doing others

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User iluka
(newbie) Thu 17-Apr-14 16:49:35
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yeah, that's what worries me. I just wish there was some way to get an answer from OpenReach but they're not exactly public-facing. It's just frustrating as the best I can get on ADSL is 5-6Mbps.

Edited by iluka (Thu 17-Apr-14 16:49:56)

Print Thread

Jump to