General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 17-Apr-14 22:57:52
Print Post

Corning optical fibre demo

[link to this post]

Just thought this video was fairly impressive showing how flexible Corning's optical fibre products are. Not something you usually associate with optical fibre. tongue
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-Apr-14 00:48:55
Print Post

Re: Corning optical fibre demo

[re: Spud2003] [link to this post]

Pity nearly all of us without taxpayer subsidised superfast and most with won't really see much benefit. It does look like a good technology especially for MDUs.

Be good to see it tested by a company that actually plan on a scale deployment using it heavily in the field.
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 19-Apr-14 05:13:03
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

So I'm assuming this fibre is "ClearCurve" which was launched in 2007(another, better, demo video - link)? Certainly nothing like the optical fibre I played with as a kid, many moons ago.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User eckiedoo
(committed) Sat 19-Apr-14 11:17:28
Print Post

Very interesting demonstration.

I remember in the later 1940s that glass-fibre cloth was used as the ribbons decorating particularly the lower tier of wedding cakes, partly availability (war surplus?) and partly that it had a sort of glistening effect, rather like thick solk.

My brother and I were fascinated when we placed off-cuts on the open coal fire; and on retrieving them some minutes later, they would be stiff or solid, the latter then shattering, yet with no obvious burning etc as one would get with ordinary cloth.

I wonder if this could be a fore-warning of future faults with optical fibre, bearing in mind that glass generally is a super-cooled liquid, just waiting to crystallise.

Another use of glass-fibre cloth that I am aware of is the thermal insulation in electric night-storage heaters.

-------------------

Back about 1992, a local networking company gave me a demonstration of the various operations needed to employ optical fibre, eg joining two lengths together, polishing the ends for plugs and sockets etc.

Their practice was that generally, they would make up a short connecting cable about 1 foot long (20 cms), polishing the ends etc; and carrying out tests for attenuation, reflections etc, in the workshop, as the connectors were the really critical part of a fibre installation.

The main length of fibre would be run in the customer's premises.

The pre-prepared connector cable would be cut in the middle, the two parts taken to the respective ends of the customer run; and "glass-welded" on.

Then there was the testing of the full cable; but with the assurance that the connectors were almost certainly OK.
Standard User flipdee
(member) Sat 19-Apr-14 13:21:27
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Pre-made connectors on leads also known as pigtails are the only way to go.
They even partial test results supplied with each pigtail, splicing the pigtail onto a fibre isn't that hard to do with the right tools, clean enough workspace and sometimes a bit of luck.
I'm envious of the more expensive fibre cable management because the basic stuff leaves a lot to be desired.
Sometimes cable management is half the battle.
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 19-Apr-14 13:35:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by eckiedoo:
I wonder if this could be a fore-warning of future faults with optical fibre, bearing in mind that glass generally is a super-cooled liquid, just waiting to crystallise.

My A-level physics teacher(who was a bright guy) also believed glass was a super-cooled liquid(cathedral windows etc.). Turns out he was wrong - couple of links - link,link. smile

Edited by Spud2003 (Sat 19-Apr-14 13:51:52)

Standard User zom22
(regular) Sat 19-Apr-14 15:53:51
Print Post

Glass cloth tapes of various types and formulations is used extensively in the building of very large electrical generators for electrical insulation: I'm talking 100MW+ at 13.8KV+ here.

Pre terminated connections on the optical fibre is how Gigaclear work their FTTP installations.
In effect they are installing a kit which comes in 25m, 50m etc lengths - whatever suits the property.
This in part is why subscribers can equally DIY the installation.
The fibre optic cable of the relevant length comes with the ONT connection point at one end and the conn point to the infrastructure termination point in the road at the other all pre-made.
Standard User eckiedoo
(committed) Sat 19-Apr-14 17:10:22
Print Post

Evening Spud and the others.

Interesting how much interest my post has given rise to.

Thanks for the two links.

Regarding whether glass is a super-cooled liquid in itself; or simply(?) passes through a super-cooled phase, I note that one of the links is to research work carried out apparently just prior to 2007 and of an esoteric nature, I am not surprised that its results are not yet widely known.
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Sat 19-Apr-14 17:30:50
Print Post

Thundebolt was originally to be a fibre/fiber optic based device interconnection technology (at the time codenamed Light Peak when Intel initially unveiled it) which would place transceivers at each end.

The technology was sadly rejected by the likes of motherboard and other device manufacturers on the basis it was too costly to implement, it was then reworked to use copper and thus resulted in what we now know as Thunderbolt.

Corning's optical USB cables sound like a good idea though but I doubt they will be cheap.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale) => Xilo (TT Wholesale due to O2 Wholesale closure) => Zen LLU
Router: Billion 7800N
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 19-Apr-14 19:00:30
Print Post

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by techguy:
Corning's optical USB cables sound like a good idea though but I doubt they will be cheap.

The Corning 10m USB 3 cable sells for $109 on Amazon.

I should have given a better explanation in my initial post, I posted because the video showed optical fibre being jammed in holes and tied in knots and I didn't recall seeing this before.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to