General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Moshiecat
(newbie) Sat 19-Apr-14 10:12:13
Print Post

thinking of buying house but shocking internet speed!

[link to this post]

Hey there, 

Ive been looking for a new house for a long time now and have finally found one that I love. Unfortunately we have discovered that we can only get 1mb internet. We saw a router when we viewed the place so just assumed it was fine. I have looked at satellite broadband but its not really suitable as we like to game online. 

I checked the postcode checker and I think that the exchange may have fibre but its not been extended to the house. This is what comes up on the postcode checker but I don't understand it:

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER BT36 4RG on Exchange GLENGORMLEY is served by Cabinet 39

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 1--1 to 3.5AvailableADSL MaxUp to 1--0.75 to 2.5AvailableWBC Fixed Rate0.5----AvailableFixed Rate0.5----AvailableOther OfferingsFibre Multicast------Available

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014. The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 31-Dec-2012; the Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 30-Jun-2014.

Note: Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.

Any idea what this means or are there any other ways to get fast broadband as I really like the house but good internet is essential

Thanks!
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 19-Apr-14 10:20:06
Print Post

Re: thinking of buying house but shocking internet speed!

[re: Moshiecat] [link to this post]

The Full Address check is more accurate http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.Addres...

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User Computerman142
(regular) Sat 19-Apr-14 10:22:46
Print Post

To best see what's available at the house you would like to buy, use the address checker ( If you have the address of the new house) instead of the postcode checker as you will see what's is available for that specific house. The postcode checker isn't very good and doesn't always show everything that is available like FTTC for example.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2859828308
My best ever result- upload is more than it should be. but more the better. Also ping is a bit high

MYSEL

TalkTalk 40/2 FTTC - Currently getting 25Mbps on an interleaved FTTC line, was 26.5Mbps.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Moshiecat
(newbie) Sat 19-Apr-14 10:33:01
Print Post

[re: Computerman142] [link to this post]

Hey,

Thanks for the reply. The address checker says the same thing, up to 1mb only, but it says fibre multicast available but nothing about speeds and BT have been useless on the phone when I asked!
Standard User Computerman142
(regular) Sat 19-Apr-14 10:40:27
Print Post

If it just says fibre multicast it could indicate the home is to far away from the cabinet meaning you cant order it. Well there is not much you can do unless you have 4G or a wireless broadband provider in the area, though they may have data caps.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2859828308
My best ever result- upload is more than it should be. but more the better. Also ping is a bit high

MYSEL

TalkTalk 40/2 FTTC - Currently getting 25Mbps on an interleaved FTTC line, was 26.5Mbps.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 19-Apr-14 11:19:02
Print Post

To me that says 1-3.5Mbps? Which could mean as much as 4Mbps in practice. Have you asked the vendors about the speeds? Specific numbers, not "It's OK"!

Is Virgin Media cable available there? It is in some areas covered by that exchange.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 19-Apr-14 11:19:58)

Standard User Moshiecat
(newbie) Sat 19-Apr-14 11:47:15
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Unfortunately virgin dont supply the house, but they do have services further up the road (our house is a single standing house on a very long road in the country however given that's its between 2 big towns and off a main road I didn't anticipate these issues! We haven't asked the tenants the details on the Internet and the agents are off for easter now so no further info but when we called BT they said it was 1mb when they did line test. Its really frustrating!
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 19-Apr-14 12:13:34
Print Post

FTTC is available on that cabinet, but the estimates are quite low. There are 22 properties listed for that post code, of which only 8 can get FTTC, speeds at best are estimated at 15.5Mbps.

653 Antrim Road, Newtownabbey , BT36 4RG on cab 39 is estimated at 11.4 Range A high, 4.1 Range B low

660,658,650,651, and unamed property on Antrim Rd and a couple of properties on Ballycraigy Business Park are estimated at 15.5 at best, with range B low being 5.7.

This all suggests you are simply too far from the cabinet, the cabinet is somewhere near 586 Antrim Rd BT36 4RF, as they are estimated at 80Mbps on Cab 39.

You should be able to work out your distance from the above address, but it does appear to be too far.
Hope that helps.

Standard User flipdee
(member) Sat 19-Apr-14 13:25:24
Print Post

Do you know anyone else who lives in a 1 or 2 mile radius of the proposed house?
  Print Thread

Jump to