General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User tehidyman
(regular) Sat 26-Apr-14 11:03:48
Print Post

What Modem/router

[link to this post]

I have BT Infinity 1 running on a ECI modem and Home Hub 3 which is trouble free. I find it frustrating that I cannot get the basic stats I used to get from RouterStats (when on ADSL2). I would like to replace the two units with a combined modem and router that I can get basic stats from. I can follow basic instuctions but nothing more complicated and I do not need loads of information that I probably will not understand. I do not game and rarely use wireless-usually rely on wired. Any recommendations on suitable kit appreciated.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 26-Apr-14 11:34:26
Print Post

Re: What Modem/router

[re: tehidyman] [link to this post]

You could get a Homehub5 and run RouterStatsHub to get the stats, however there are reports of problems some people have with the HH5.
Alternatively, you could get an unlocked HG612 (or unlock one yourself) from Ebay to replace your ECI modem and run DSLStats with that.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 26-Apr-14 14:25:27
Print Post

You could get a ZyXel WMG8324-B10A, it's now supported by HG612 Modem Stats.

For further info see here.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tehidyman
(regular) Sat 26-Apr-14 15:15:06
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

HH5 and RouterStatsHub looks simple and as I can renew my BT contract for 12 months and get the HH5 just for the cost of P & P I will go that route.Many thanks for the advice
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 26-Apr-14 18:41:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by tehidyman:
HH5 and RouterStatsHub looks simple and as I can renew my BT contract for 12 months and get the HH5 just for the cost of P & P I will go that route.Many thanks for the advice

Don't forget for the HH5 to give you stats, you have to stop using the ECI modem and connect the HH5 to the telephone socket. Some people report this isn't as good speed wise as a separate modem.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6, Now 52/9, Sync @ 55 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
15 years broadband (1999 ntl: cablemodem, BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-AC68U (merlin) - Modem: HG612 unlocked Typical speedtest
  Print Thread

Jump to