General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User tialaramex
(newbie) Sat 26-Apr-14 19:50:56
Print Post

Southampton BT cabinets

[link to this post]

Been mapping the BT cabinets around Southampton, or at least the part where I live. Can't hurt to make this available to other people, so here's a URL you can paste into Google Maps

http://home.tlrmx.org/bt/?x=STHMPTN

Markers are numbered with the cabinet number if I was able to discover it

Red markers mean that cabinet shows no sign of getting FTTC
Green markers mean there's definitely FTTC from that cabinet according to Openreach
Blue means it looks like it has or will get FTTC
Yellow means for whatever reason I wasn't sure or couldn't check

Yes I've focused on cabinets for HAMPTON exchange because that's nearest to me, if you live over in Shirley or by the docks this isn't much use (yet?), feel free to go build your own map!
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 27-Apr-14 10:38:33
Print Post

Re: Southampton BT cabinets

[re: tialaramex] [link to this post]

Nice work on the map, you can create on on line map (see mine in my signature), just don't allow editing.

Standard User tialaramex
(newbie) Sun 27-Apr-14 14:43:53
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Hmm. I'm generating KML in software, so I don't think I gain anything from using "an on line map" instead. But I might get around to making a page which links each covered exchange and gives the appropriate version of the map embedded in Google Maps. Maybe next week.

Most of what I've discovered while compiling this map either matched my preconceptions or was explained in a forum like this with a quick Google. But a few weird things are left and I'll post separately about those shortly.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User marmaladecat99
(newbie) Fri 30-May-14 16:03:13
Print Post

Sorry to be thick - how do I paste a URL into Google maps? I'm interested to see what's going on our cabinet! (Hampton 11).
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 30-May-14 17:31:47
Print Post

[re: marmaladecat99] [link to this post]

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=http://home.tlrmx.org...

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User tialaramex
(newbie) Sun 01-Jun-14 23:59:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by marmaladecat99:
Sorry to be thick - how do I paste a URL into Google maps? I'm interested to see what's going on our cabinet! (Hampton 11).

You see the search box in Google maps, where you'd type things like "Eiffel Tower" or "LS30 2BH" ? You can type or paste URLs into that box too. Google Maps will open the URL, and if the URL contains suitable map information (KML format, like I've generated) it will display that.

Anyway, no news on Cabinet 11 as far as I know. So still blue on my map - you'd have to ask somebody with a little more inside info if you want some semblance of why and when..

Very busy recently, should get FTTC of my own next week. Meanwhile I have added a few more cabinets and introduced some new colours, the light blue (cyan) means that fttc-check site says the cabinet is planned to get FTTC at some point in the future, but I saw no sign of it yet. So for these FTTC is probably more distant than for the blue ones (where there's been at least some work done). Purple means something unusual or confusing, those might vanish later.
Standard User marmaladecat99
(newbie) Mon 02-Jun-14 09:14:48
Print Post

Thanks.
Standard User UnfinishedUserna
(newbie) Mon 23-Jun-14 11:34:59
Print Post

I'm also waiting on Cab 11, see here.

There were installing new ducting all the way up Grosvenor Road about 6 weeks ago, but it's been quiet since then. I guess they still need to actually lay the fibre though it? Nothing currently on roadworks.org. The cab is powered up, though - you can hear it if you put your ear next to it!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 23-Jun-14 11:45:38
Print Post

[re: UnfinishedUserna] [link to this post]

Two stages, black one inch thick tubing with mini tubes inside it is pulled through ducting and then the fibre is blown using a small compressor.

When people invariably say they see the fibre being installed its the big drum of black tubing they see, the fibre blowing can be just one or two people and easy to miss.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User UnfinishedUserna
(newbie) Mon 23-Jun-14 13:46:21
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yeah, this really was ducting they were installing - they had the pavement up and were laying what looked like blue PVC pipes, a few inches in diameter.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to