General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User timh
(newbie) Sun 27-Apr-14 21:29:22
Print Post

BBC Streaming issue and strange TBB speed test - related?

[link to this post]

Hi, not sure where to post this, but as I'm on fibre - thought this was as a good a place as any?

Over the weekend I've been trying to watch the live snooker streaming, but every 30 secs or so it is either buffering or switching quality back and forth (same issue via wifi and wired connection). I'm with plusnet and can't see any issues reported on their forums, but using the TBB speed test, I am getting a very low speed in the TBB tests, compared to the HTTP tests and wondering if this is part of the problem with the constant buffering/quality change? Is this normal, is it an ISP issue or BBC issue?

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 27-Apr-14 21:43:29
Print Post

Re: BBC Streaming issue and strange TBB speed test - related

[re: timh] [link to this post]

If the tbbx1 and httpx6 are nice and flat and at the right speeds at off-peak times, then points towards a congestion issue somewhere

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User timh
(learned) Sun 27-Apr-14 22:02:18
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Mr Saffron. Is there anyway to determine if the congestion is at the exchange or ISP ?

Also is it normal that the two types of test are different by such a significant amount ?

Plusnet checker suggests the exchange status is green. But just found this on their status page:

"23/04/2014 @ 14:58
This is an update to previous posts regarding problems using or accessing some online service and streaming websites.
Whereas customers should now see that the majority of online services and streaming websites are working correctly. We are still working with the remaining affected sites and services to resolve any remaining issues.
If you're experiencing these issues then a single disconnect/reconnect from within your router should resolve this for you."

I have performed a router reboot - and issue still exists. Maybe will have to log a ticket with them.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 27-Apr-14 22:30:54
Print Post

I watched Doherty v McManus from 10-7or8 onwards with a couple of stutters for a second or two each. The rest was fine. A day or so earlier I think it was Murphy I saw and that was fine. Also Plusnet FTTC.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 28-Apr-14 09:51:53
Print Post

It is not normal for the two types of test to be so different, in fact once some updates are rolled out we will be warning people in the tester about this disparity.

In terms of exchange or ISP, its about chasing around friends locally on the same exchange to see if they are all affected, or just those on PlusNet.

The PlusNet status suggests a gateway or peering issue

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User timh
(learned) Mon 28-Apr-14 10:05:55
Print Post

Thanks Mr Saffron. I'll ask around but also raise this with Plusnet.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 28-Apr-14 11:51:43
Print Post

I think it came out recently that the Plusnet exchange status page refers only to 20CN VPs. Not WBC. It's just a legacy thing. If I remember, I'll try to find where this was posted.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 28-Apr-14 11:53:37
Print Post

See my reply a few seconds ago to MrSaffron. After you contact them you may be able to confirm or contradict what I said smile.

Standard User timh
(learned) Mon 28-Apr-14 14:53:34
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks RobertoS. I've created a ticket with the relevant info - will see what they come back with.
  Print Thread

Jump to