General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Internaut
(newbie) Sat 03-May-14 19:34:02
Print Post

Moving to Infinity. Bit confused

[link to this post]

Hi,

I got a call from BT yesterday, offering to move me to Infinity 2. I don't think I really need it at the moment (the 12mbps I get is absolutely fine) but I'm as much a sucker for a big number as the next man (and we may as well be 4k ready).

Anyway, to the question. They say they're going to send me a new router, the Home Hub 5 (I already have Home Hub 4) and that this will require an engineer to visit us. I thought Home Hub 5 effectively did away with the need for an engineer to install additional equipment? As always, advice appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Jason
Standard User Internaut
(newbie) Sat 03-May-14 19:49:17
Print Post

Re: Moving to Infinity. Bit confused

[re: Internaut] [link to this post]

Ok... Done a bit of reading around. Could be that the OpenReach modem gets installed to avoid additional cabling around the house (we have a nice, neat setup, with the cable running from the splitter, under the carpet to our Home Hub 4 in the living room, at the moment)? If that's the case, I'm not sure I see the point in providing another router.....
Standard User Storm_Force
(learned) Sat 03-May-14 20:23:17
Print Post

My parents have just upgraded there install is next week, as you said the HH5 doesn't need the open reach modem.
I was told that an engineer isn't required and it would be a self install.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Sat 03-May-14 20:50:26
Print Post

[re: Storm_Force] [link to this post]

infinity 1 is self install. Infinity 2 is engineer installed
http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broad...
Standard User Internaut
(newbie) Sun 04-May-14 19:43:43
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Thanks. I did see that page while frantically searching, last night. My main concern was:

- Our BT master socket is in the hall
- Where there's no power
- While our Home Hub 4 is in the living room (and cabled into the TV and Sky box), connected to the splitter in the hall using a long modem cable I bought from Maplins.

I was a bit worried we might have to move the Home Hub (which would be far less than ideal), but this looks like probably not the case.

Next question: Will the cable from the hallway to the Home Hub change? I suspect it will. That would be a bummer, as the existing cable neatly goes under the carpet that was installed a week after we were first moved to BT smile.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 04-May-14 19:46:52
Print Post

If a decent twisted pair cable it can possibly be reused with no great impact.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Internaut
(newbie) Sun 04-May-14 20:00:22
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks again. At the moment, I'm glad an engineer is coming for the simple reason, from what I've read elsewhere, he should be able to accommodate additional cabling from the hall to the living room. If I'd done a Google on BT Infinity Data Extension kit, in the first place, I'd have found this:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/37163...

Now, I'm a lot happier, and looking forward to faster internet than I need.
Standard User rww
(newbie) Sun 04-May-14 21:00:06
Print Post

Hi, I moved back to BT juts before Easter ago. First appointment engineer failed to arrive. Had two conflicting reasons from BT why that was! When someone did come was in house for less than ten minutes. He didn't check the phone was working so when I tried to make a call about 20 mins after he left I couldn't. Rang BT from my mobile and they said couldn't recall the engineer and I would have to wait and as it was Easter coming up that wouldn't be until after the holiday. Guess no surprise when engineer came round on Easter Monday to fix the problem. And yes he said he was on overtime!

Next problem that I am still pondering after couple of days download speed was close to 70 then for unknown to me anyway its dropped to less than 1. Upload is still around 14/15 though. That's wireless so I have no idea how to resolve problem.
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 04-May-14 21:35:11
Print Post

[re: rww] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by rww:
That's wireless so I have no idea how to resolve problem.

Try wired?

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 70000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User Internaut
(newbie) Mon 05-May-14 01:05:43
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kasg:
In reply to a post by rww:
That's wireless so I have no idea how to resolve problem.

Try wired?

Try wired, if possible. Otherwise call BT. In fact, call BT anyway. The problem described sounds too extreme for a wireless clash, locally. If the upload speeds are good, while the download speeds are terrible, then this could be a router fault, but to me sounds like a BT core network issue. In any event, call BT.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to