General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mrvanx
(member) Sat 03-May-14 20:24:09
Print Post

Another York Not-Spot (Heworth Area)

[link to this post]

Hey all,
I figured I would vent/share my frustration with the fibre rollout on here (along with mnay others!! smile )

According to NGA enquiries my cabinet (Melrosegate Cabinet 20) is not economically viable enough to warrant a fibre upgrade, even though it is smack bang in the middle of an urban area and surrounded seemingly by fibre enabled cabinets (ashley park being one of them....cabinet 29)..

(Im aware that the location of the cabinet doesnt necessarily mean it services a circle encompassing it but that is my initial assumption, also the fact that there is virgin cable in te ara probably makes the situation a bit worse for me)

There is a new build development going on literally across the street from the cabinet which is the working mens club site being torn down and new houses being built on the site (~20 houses or so??).....is this likely to persuade BT otherwise on the benefits of fibre enabling the cabinet??

Ive looked on roadworks.org and nothing is on the horizon really.

.......yours with frustration etc etc....... smile

Sky Unlimited
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 03-May-14 20:39:26
Print Post

Re: Another York Not-Spot (Heworth Area)

[re: mrvanx] [link to this post]

Probably will take a few years for them to spot and do anything, if the cabinet is also covered by Virgin Media then unlikely to get any assistance from BDUK/council type projects

In theory a 1 in 5 chance that CityFibre via TalkTalk and Sky will bring FTTP to you in the next year or two

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Fastman2
(regular) Sat 03-May-14 21:13:25
Print Post

suggest you speak to developer and see if they will fund the cab as poor broadband will not help developer sell house (see openreach FAQ Rutal Broadband - not covered)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User John_Gray
(regular) Sat 03-May-14 21:36:25
Print Post

It seems from this map of VM-enabled postcodes that only parts of Heworth are covered by VM...

[Hence why you are talking about OpenReach!]

Edited by John_Gray (Sat 03-May-14 21:38:05)

Standard User indigobanana
(regular) Sat 03-May-14 23:40:53
Print Post

Cabinet P20 FTTP Planned Phase 11b 2013-2014

If so, the wait will be worth it!

With PlusNet on 20CN ADSL Max, I live in hope...

Fibre in Cumbria Exchange & Cab Map
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 04-May-14 19:54:56
Print Post

If you weren't economically viable by Openreach, then you ought to come under the auspices of the Superfast North Yorkshire project (which includes York itself) ... provided (as others point out) that you aren't covered by VM.

You could ask SFNY if your address is considered to be NGA White (ie it is within the intervention zone), and if so... are they planning to do anything about it - either within the current project, or the extended project.

http://www.superfastnorthyorkshire.com/where-and-when

https://twitter.com/SFNYorkshire
Standard User mrvanx
(member) Sat 10-May-14 16:45:28
Print Post

Just had a look at FTTC-check and noticed the info posted by indigobanana (cheers).

So looks like the cabinet is planned for something??

One thing I forgot to mention was that the cabinet does have Virgin Media in the area but quite a few of the streets around are un-adopted by the council etc..etc... so they havent got VM down them (my street included).

Am I right in saying the NGA enquiries email is no longer working/replying??

Cheers all,

PS: on a side note does anyone know of a google maps entry for York with cabinet locations on it?? If not im going to atleastput the local ones in, there are ALOT of minor cabinets with no numbers on in the area, I assume they are (for want of a better phrase) sub-cabinets from the main numbered ones??

Sky Unlimited
Standard User mrvanx
(member) Sun 27-Jul-14 19:44:08
Print Post

Just had another lookat the FTTC Check website and my cabinet is stated as part of the 66% rollout??

http://fttc-check.alc.im/search/YO310LY

In normal-person terms does this mean the assessment has changed for my cabinet??

Sky Unlimited
  Print Thread

Jump to