General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Willapp
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 04-May-14 19:36:36
Print Post

Moving house need connection on day 1

[link to this post]

Not sure if this is the right forum but it does relate to Fibre broadband so here goes... smile

The Mrs and I are moving house in a few weeks and as I work from home I desperately want to get broadband set up in advance so it's activated on the day we move in (or worst-case within 1-2 days tops).

I currently have BT Infinity at the existing property and I know the current owners of the new property also have BT Infinity (seen their Home Hub and they've confirmed it's FTTC) but I want to change providers probably to Zen as I'd rather pay a bit extra for a premium service. I'm already out of contract period so that's no problem.

Question is how do I go about ordering in advance and making sure that activation is as close as possible to our completion date? I'll probably ask Zen directly as I know their CS is great (I'm a previous customer from long past) but wanted to know if anyone else has done this recently and whether there is a process to follow?

Thanks,
Will.

--
Will.
Standard User Internaut
(newbie) Sun 04-May-14 19:49:06
Print Post

Re: Moving house need connection on day 1

[re: Willapp] [link to this post]

Took a few days (I think) when my sister moved from Manchester to West Yorkshire, for work. I don't know if BT can expedite that. Does the area you're moving to have decent 3G (or better still, 4G LTE) coverage? Pre paid 4G MiFi devices aren't expensive. I too occasionally work from home, and keep a spare MiFi going, just in case my BT Broadband goes tits up (or BT decide to do one of their special firmware upgrades, to the Home Hub, as they did with the Home Hub 3).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 04-May-14 19:49:37
Print Post

What you want is an expedited simultaneous provide e.g. http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/updates/briefin...

There is usually an extra cost for doing this instead of the more normal sim provide.

A lot will depend on whether the line is clear of any tags already.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bdo21
(learned) Sun 04-May-14 20:24:54
Print Post

[re: Internaut] [link to this post]

Another option which is unlikely but worth checking is whether there is a second line to the property. When we moved, there was a dormant line at the house so I activated that a few weeks in advance of our move date and then ordered the fibre and had the installation date for the day we moved in.

As I said, not very likely but worth checking with the owner/BT
Standard User Willapp
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 07-May-14 18:29:51
Print Post

[re: bdo21] [link to this post]

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies and sorry for not posting back sooner, I like to close my threads off so anyone reading this knows what option we went for in the end!

Spoke to Zen who were very helpful but confirmed that, aside from getting a second line installed there isn't really a way to get a new service activated on the day of moving.

However, as the current owners have BT Infinity already we've decided to use BT's Home Mover service to migrate our existing account to the new premises which should *hopefully* see us activated on the day we move. It does mean agreeing to a new 12 month line rental agreement but we can still change broadband provider once we're settled.

--
Will.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 07-May-14 18:38:35
Print Post

Are they moving out on the same day, and what are they doing about their Infinity?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Willapp
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 07-May-14 18:41:47
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes they're moving same day. Not sure what they were planning to do, but the BT Home Mover website says they'll contact the current occupiers to make them aware of the changeover so I assume this is all taken care of (in case they try and cancel the line).

Might speak to their Estate Agents just in case though and make them aware of what's happening, can't be too careful! smile

--
Will.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 07-May-14 21:33:31
Print Post

A wise move. It does sound as though good coordination at three parts of BT will be needed.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User G3UZF
(committed) Thu 08-May-14 08:47:29
Print Post

I moved from Buckinghamshire to Devon 6-months or so ago and got BT/OR to transfer the Devon number to me (after checking the existing sub didn't intend to keep the number) and arranging for an Engineer to come the day following the move to install Infinity Option 2.

Received an e-mail confirming all the details and everything went according to plan on moving day without any screw-ups.

Seems BT/OR can get it right some of the time!

Allergy Advice: This post may contain traces of Meerkats.
  Print Thread

Jump to