General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User reubs007
(newbie) Tue 06-May-14 15:12:00
Print Post

Decorative faceplate & installing FTTC

[link to this post]

Hi all

Can you help? I have ADSL at present. There are 3 separate phone sockets in the house but they are all in flush faceplates with decorative silver surrounds.

There are 4 outputs in each faceplate: phone, CAT5 cable (I don't think this is wired up), TV & radio (definitely not wired up).

There's a photo here (ignore everything else on the page!):

Phone socket

I was told the socket closest to the front door is the master socket, so that's where the router is plugged in.

My question: what will happen if I get an FTTC install by OR? I don't want my nice silver faceplate replaced by a big white box. I have tried to speak to BT about it but they don't really understand my question.

Many thanks for your help!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 06-May-14 15:56:07
Print Post

Re: Decorative faceplate & installing FTTC

[re: reubs007] [link to this post]

If it is an engineer install product you order then some will just say use the filter and leave you be (Ony BT Infinity 2 assuming you are ordering from BT) has an engineer install these days.

Others will see the situation and warn you that your speeds may be impacted by the wiring arrangement and let you continue to use microfilters.

Third option and least likely is they will refuse to install.

FTTC is much more sensitive to the presence of the ring wire, extensions and star wiring set-ups. The end result may be that if your speed estimate is 35 Meg, you might only get 20 Meg.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User reubs007
(newbie) Tue 06-May-14 15:58:57
Print Post

Re: Decorative faceplate & installing FTTC

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Got it, thanks for your help!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to