General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User cocyndinos
(newbie) Tue 06-May-14 16:44:36
Print Post

FTTC Installation BT Option 2

[link to this post]

Hello,

I wonder if anyone has the same problem as I do. When my house was built the electrician wired up the phone socket in the living room and study. He ran the cables up to the attic space. So when BT came to install the phone line he had to put the 'master' socket in the attic where all the cables were ran to. He ran the cable from the master socket across the attic space and outside into the pole over the road (which I had to run the cable as they wont access the attic)
So basically, I have been using my router on a branch, but I beleive with BT option 2 this is not possible. My question is, will it be possible to extend the cable that comes into my attic and run it downstairs into my living room where I want the router to be?
Or will a new cable from the pole outside have to be run into the attic and then into my living room? (I can pull the wires for him)

Any help is very much appreciated.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 06-May-14 17:01:39
Print Post

Re: FTTC Installation BT Option 2

[re: cocyndinos] [link to this post]

VDSL2 Faceplate at the master socket and a data extension cable (up to 30m of CAT5e) is what would be done.
Usually BT Retail engineer installs have the option for a data extension cable ticked when they order.

Basically filter all the extensions at the master and install a dedicated extension for the fire connection

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User cocyndinos
(newbie) Tue 06-May-14 17:05:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks alot for the reply. Is that the only option? Because i know I can pull a cable through my stud walls down into the lounge, but a cable with a CAT5 connector will never pull through the holes! frown

Cheers

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Tue 06-May-14 17:11:50
Print Post

I think the cable is on a reel and the connections are made on site, so shouldn't be a problem unless you get a contractor who dosnt know what a data extension is.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 06-May-14 17:14:51
Print Post

Why not put the modem in the attic where the master is. It is a low noise environment and then you can run a Cat5e down to the point where you want the router. Just ask BT to either provide modem only and you source your own router, or get BT to provide both.

As for BT not accessing the attic, why not? Is it boarded and safe? Is it lit? Or it it hazardous. All my masters and the modem are in a very small attic and the BT Techs have no problems here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 06-May-14 17:17:12
Print Post

See my post above. Pull teh Cat5e through and fit an RJ45 face plate at each end. EASY and neat.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Tue 06-May-14 17:40:51
Print Post

I have been on hand for a number of FTTC installations in our road which have a similar set to you. In each case I have asked the OR engineer to abandon all existing internal wiring and install a new piece of cabling down the outside of the home and into the study. Needless to say not an issue for an OR installation engineer but a major exercise to get a contractor to do the same task. Usual excuse of not being allowed to drill through walls, so I did it for him.
Standard User systemx
(experienced) Tue 06-May-14 17:49:13
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
Why not put the modem in the attic where the master is. It is a low noise environment and then you can run a Cat5e down to the point where you want the router. Just ask BT to either provide modem only and you source your own router, or get BT to provide both.

As for BT not accessing the attic, why not? Is it boarded and safe? Is it lit? Or it it hazardous. All my masters and the modem are in a very small attic and the BT Techs have no problems here.

I can't see a problem if it is boarded and lit, and has a handy power socket, but I think it is asking too much from a free installation to expect someone to crawl about with a handful of loft insulation down their trousers.
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 07-May-14 08:08:01
Print Post

Why not pull solid-core cat 5e cable through the walls, and terminate the end in the room in a RJ45 socket, which is fitted using a punch-tool like telephone extensions.

That lets you run the flexible patch cable (with plugs) in the room only.

I've used modular ones like these in the past: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Wiring_Access...

RJ11 sockets are also available, but less commonly.
Standard User cocyndinos
(newbie) Wed 07-May-14 08:43:51
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Thanks everyone for your inputs, you all seem to know a hell of a lot more than I do on this subject!!!
Sounds like I have a couple of options then! So if i run CAT5 down into the lounge, how do I plug my landline into it? Will I have to run a phoneline down also?

Thanks again all.
  Print Thread

Jump to