General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Andrew_W
(knowledge is power) Wed 07-May-14 16:14:08
Print Post

Do I need a cabinet?

[link to this post]

I live in a rural location with no neighbours about 1.25 miles from my exchange. A fibre optic cable has recently been laid with existing underground copper lines about 500 yards from my front door.

In order to connect with this new cable (if indeed possible) how would this be implemented? Would I get my very own cabinet? smile

Andrew
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 07-May-14 16:16:05
Print Post

Re: Do I need a cabinet?

[re: Andrew_W] [link to this post]

Which broadband provider are we talking about here?

If its someone like BT then what does the BT Wholesale checker say is available to your premises http://www.thinkbroadband.com/btavailability.html

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Andrew_W
(knowledge is power) Wed 07-May-14 16:30:21
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Currently I am with IDNet.

Both IDNet and BT Wholesale checker says nothing other than what I already have.

Openreach "Where and when" says 'coming soon'

Andrew

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 07-May-14 16:36:41
Print Post

Does this checker show a cabinet number just above the speed estimate table? (Use your phone number, and if that isn't accepted use the full address checker. The pure postcode checker is unreliable, particularly in cases like yours).

Please copy and paste the cabinet line and table contents, editing out your number/address smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Andrew_W
(knowledge is power) Wed 07-May-14 16:45:01
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER
Telephone Number ********* on Exchange TETFORD
Featured Products
Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)
Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)
Downstream Range(Mbps)
Availability Date
ADSL Max Up to 5 -- 3.5 to 7.5 Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014.

If the End User wishes to migrate from their current Broadband supplier they will need to contact them in the first instance to obtain a MAC (Migrations Authorisation) Code, and then contact their new Broadband supplier to arrange for the service to be migrated.

Note: Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.

Thank you for your interest.[i/]

Andrew
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Wed 07-May-14 16:54:15
Print Post

A new cabinet would need to be built, then a new fibre cabinet built beside it.

Alternatively deploying fibre to your home would be an option.

I wouldn't hold your breath either way. Sorry frown
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 07-May-14 17:09:05
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

I agree. That looks like an EO line.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Andrew_W
(knowledge is power) Wed 07-May-14 17:19:15
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

As in "End of" grin

Well, I get over 6 meg down ADSL so will have to make do!! The cows in the next field can run faster wink

Andrew
Standard User IranianGiraffe
(learned) Thu 08-May-14 11:08:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by Andrew_W:
As in "End of" grin

Well, I get over 6 meg down ADSL so will have to make do!! The cows in the next field can run faster wink

I wouldn't give up hope completely Andrew, at least 3 exchanges near me have all had cabinets built right outside the exchange for EO lines so although unlikely it does happen (well they were on roadworks.org site that they were being done anyway).
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 08-May-14 12:07:45
Print Post

[re: IranianGiraffe] [link to this post]

I don't think a cabinet at the exchange end would help the OP, unfortunately. At that distance it could even be worse than ADSLx, in both directions.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to