General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User UnfinishedUserna
(newbie) Wed 07-May-14 16:41:19
Print Post

Yet another cabinet status request

[link to this post]

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could kindly check the FTTC status of a couple of cabinets for me...?

I'm interested in:
HAMPTON exchange cabinet 11 (seems to have been converted at the start of this year, but has since been sat there with no change on the wholesale checker status, along with quite a few other cabinets in the area). It'd be nice to know what the hold-up is!

but also:
WINCHESTER exchange cabinet 31. Remote location, doesn't seem to have been any attempt to install a new cabinet yet. According to the info on http://www3.hants.gov.uk/broadband.htm it's "Already available or due to be covered by commercial upgrades
You are in an area which either already receives superfast broadband or where there are commercial plans to provide it before 2015."

Thanks very much in advance!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 07-May-14 18:45:46
Print Post

Re: Yet another cabinet status request

[re: UnfinishedUserna] [link to this post]

IF by Winchester you mean the exchange STWINCH then cabinet P31 started taking orders on 18th April 2013 but the checker is not showing availability, so maybe a checker issue, OR first line card was filled very quickly and awaiting the next card.

Address 2 HAMPAGE FARM COTTS, OVINGTON, ALRESFORD, SO24 0HY on Exchange WINCHESTER is served by Cabinet 31

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User deiwise
(committed) Wed 07-May-14 21:23:59
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Andrew, is this data available publicly or just for ISPs (and clever people like you)?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Thu 08-May-14 12:47:46
Print Post

Thanks very much MrSaffron! Yes, sorry, I think that's the right one - STWINCH Cab 31.

That's odd if you think it's been enabled since April 2013 - Is this not Cab 31?
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.061829,-1.2704,3a,65...

If so, I haven't noticed any new cabinets appearing nearby, but I can have another look...
If it's an issue with the cards, how many lines can one card support? And how many cards can one cabinet support? Do you just have to wait until OpenReach decide to install more?

If it's an issue with the checker, is there somewhere official one can report or query this?

Thanks again for looking into it - I don't suppose you please have any more information on the other cabinet in my query (Hampton/STHMPTN Cab 11)?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 08-May-14 13:45:10
Print Post

No that is not

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.061985,-1.294565,3a,...

You can just about make out the 31 on it too.

Nothing on the other cab

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Thu 08-May-14 15:21:48
Print Post

Hampton 11 requires new duct section for the fibre.
Power and copper are done

Edited by Ribble (Thu 08-May-14 15:22:17)

(newbie) Thu 08-May-14 15:32:55
Print Post

Aah, thanks again - well found on the cab - that's interesting!

That puts the address you quoted above (SO24 0HY) at over 5.1km away from the cabinet (as the crow flies), yet the wholesale checker says it can get up to 4.5Mbps downstream rate for ADSL2+. That doesn't seem quite right...?

But putting in a postcode near that cabinet (e.g. SO23 0JS) and suddenly 80Mbps FTTC is available! Is VDSL not an option over very long distances? Could that other cabinet be an intermediary/child cabinet of 31 or something?
(newbie) Thu 08-May-14 15:35:52
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Thanks Ribble!

I guess the new duct section would require more roadworks? There's nothing on roadworks.org for the next 12 months...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 08-May-14 16:04:34
Print Post

VDSL is not show as available once the speed estimates get down into the 2 Meg region.
As for the other cabinet don't have time to go and find all the cabs on the exchange today

The Wholesale checker can be wrong, and our own estimate is 1.6 Mbps and zero for FTTC for that postcode. We reckon line length 5428m and distance to cabinet 4161m.

Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Thu 08-May-14 16:21:51
Print Post

I reckon the other cabinet you linked to was 86 and that Andrew has linked to PCP 31 with 31/1 next to it
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to