General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mlmclaren
(regular) Sat 10-May-14 23:26:13
Print Post

Exchange Under Evaluation Question?

[link to this post]

My exchange (cmking) has finally gone Under Evaluation around 3 weeks ago on the Openreach Where and When site.

All the other exchanges in my area (South Birmingham) are already accepting orders and have been for sometime now.

My area (Kings Norton) seems to be the last for some weird reason as its a very popular area.

Finally My Question:

How long does an exchange normally stay Under Evaluation and what sort of time frame am I looking at for NGA's to start popping up, Has anyone been in my situation?

On another note, Does Openreach locate the NGA's as close to the PCP as possible or just where it would be easier for Fibre to pop up for it?

Thanks in advance.

MLM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 10-May-14 23:41:36
Print Post

Re: Exchange Under Evaluation Question?

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

The fibre cabinets are usually within around 50m, closer is better of course due to the distance issues with VDSL2

On how long, it could be a couple of months or it could be a year or two

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mlmclaren
(regular) Sat 10-May-14 23:47:42
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

OK thanks for your reply, I am still interested if anyone else has any experience with this.

Oh yes I forgot VDSL2 was vulnerable over distances to noise.

MLM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 11-May-14 00:27:42
Print Post

Possibly more important than noise is pure distance. Because of its many higher frequencies it suffers from attenuation much more than ADSLx does.

If you are close to the cabinet the difference between 10 and 60 metres distance between the pair of cabinets is irrelevant. At six hundred metres from the cabinet it matters. Seven hundred and it's hugely important. smile

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 11-May-14 00:31:49
Print Post

My experience comes from watching the Openreach where/when site for the North Yorkshire BDUK rollout - exchanges were marked on that website long before any announcements anywhere else.

What I have noticed, over time, is this:
- No exchanges seemed to end up UE as part of the commercial rollout
- No exchanges seemed to end up UE as part of the first BDUK plans
- Subsequently, some of the small exchanges that were originally included in the BDUK rollout *and* were marked as FE with FTTP have gone backwards into UE status
- Some of the small exchanges that were marked FE with FTTP have stayed in the programme, but have not yet been upgraded

It was interesting to note those small exchanges that were earmarked for FTTP - it suggested that BT might have been thinking of making the exchange a FOX one, and possibly aiming to get rid of the exchange entirely.

My guess is that Openreach are re-evaluating whether to use FTTP on some of the exchanges they originally highlighted. This re-evaluation might be re-checking the cost of FTTP, or it might be awaiting evaluation of the recent FTTRN nodes.
Standard User mlmclaren
(regular) Sun 11-May-14 00:53:34
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

IGNORE STATEMENT BELOW, JUST FOUND OUT THAT WHAT I THOUGHT WAS MY CABINET IS ACTUALLY A ROYAL MAIL POUCH BOX........

I have another question,

I'm aware that part of the NGA installation is adding a Green tapping card into the existing PCP, If I'm right in saying that..... If there isn't enough room to do that for instance the PCP is too small to accommodate such device then would a new PCP be installed?

MLM

Edited by mlmclaren (Sun 11-May-14 01:02:18)

Standard User zom22
(regular) Sun 11-May-14 08:45:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by mlmclaren:
I'm aware that part of the NGA installation is adding a Green tapping card into the existing PCP, If I'm right in saying that..... If there isn't enough room to do that for instance the PCP is too small to accommodate such device then would a new PCP be installed?

Sort of....
A new outer shell is installed.
So quite literally the old metal cabinet down to the base is cut off and a new larger outer shell/doors etc is installed over the connection panels etc - and now with enough room for the cross connection blocks to the PCP fibre twin.

I believe the reg's state that the fibre twin has to be installed within 50m of its parent PCP.

Edited by zom22 (Sun 11-May-14 08:45:46)

Standard User mlmclaren
(regular) Sun 11-May-14 10:30:26
Print Post

[re: zom22] [link to this post]

OK I think I've seen a pic on google of them doing that....

I've actually found my PCP now and its not good news, its around 450m away from my property so by the guide I found on TBB I will only get around 40mbps and around 16mbps upload so looks like I'll be using a basic package.

So not exactly in any rush to get it now.

MLM
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 11-May-14 11:34:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by mlmclaren:
I've actually found my PCP now and its not good news, its around 450m away from my property so by the guide I found on TBB I will only get around 40mbps and around 16mbps upload so looks like I'll be using a basic package.

I'm about 450m from my PCP and sync at 52Mbps down and 9Mbps up (unlocked HG612 stats). My parents are 470m from their PCP and they get 80Mbps down and 20Mbps up. I assume their copper is better than mine, or less joins in the wires in the street.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6, Now 52/9, Sync @ 55 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
15 years broadband (1999 ntl: cablemodem, BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-AC68U (merlin) - Modem: HG612 unlocked Typical speedtest
Standard User mlmclaren
(regular) Sun 11-May-14 11:41:04
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

well my main worry is that I will pay for 80/20 and only get 50/10, I want the upload more than anything but I've just found this website that makes more sense as I've seen 600m lines on here with 55/16....

http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2013/chart-b...

Like you said copper will have a lot to do with it and if its actually copper and not steel

MLM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to