General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Colin_London
(member) Sun 11-May-14 21:20:32
Print Post

One Year limit on Banding?

[link to this post]

The following may give hope to some, but despair to others.....

Had a nice surprise today - my FTTC connection profile suddenly increased by 6Mbps. It has been restricted to 52.27Mbps despite having over 9dB noise margin. My Homehub 5 reports max data rate on the line between 65Mbps and 72Mbps, but never connected at anything over 54Mbps because of the banding. The connection has now increased to almost exactly 60Mbps and the profile is now 58.07 Mbps smile

So, nothing remarkable so far.... until I checked in my Speedtest records and found that the banding and 52.27Mbps profile was first deployed on my line exactly 1 year ago on 11/5/13.

I don't believe that's a coincidence, do you?

So now my connection is probably near optimal (allowing for the fact I do still have occasional crackles on the line). Just not going to be doing any reboots anytime soon!

So to add to the wisdom about DLM I thought I would contribute that there may be a 1 year timeout on banding which, as I say, gives hope to some, but little comfort to those who have just been banded.....

Edited by Colin_London (Sun 11-May-14 23:26:18)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 11-May-14 22:39:30
Print Post

Re: One Year limit on Banding?

[re: Colin_London] [link to this post]

(Typo in the first line of the second paragraph. 60Mbps, not 6Mbps?).

Are you sure it was banding, and not simply the result of interleaving, which has now been removed?

Banding would normally give identical speeds on reboots of the modem. Was that the case? Interleaving would give small variations.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 11-May-14 22:39:56)

(member) Sun 11-May-14 23:10:44
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for noticing the typo, but I actually meant 'increased by 6Mbps'.

Yes - it was definitely banded before. Homehub 5 reported connection speeds were exactly identical on every reboot (54000kbps exactly IIRC) with no variation. That's how I know I was banded!

Before I had the Homehub I couldn't see the connection speed, but the Speed Test profile was remaining exactly the same.

Edited by Colin_London (Sun 11-May-14 23:13:10)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 11-May-14 23:25:40
Print Post

[re: Colin_London] [link to this post]

OK smile.

(You can still edit that 6Mbs).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 11-May-14 23:26:17)

(member) Sun 11-May-14 23:27:57
Print Post

Edited.

I wish that BT published the 'rules' on DLM as a SIN somewhere public rather than users having to try and work it out from experience.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 12-May-14 09:51:39
Print Post

banding can indeed last a long time, mine (74mbit) only got removed when openreach did a DLM reset, it was in place for several months.

Edited by Chrysalis (Mon 12-May-14 09:52:30)

Print Thread

Jump to