General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mikegg
(newbie) Tue 13-May-14 21:05:49
Print Post

Line Length Issue ??

[link to this post]

Hi

Had FTTC installed and first day hit 37Mbps (estimate 32). Never seen it since and now ranges between 14 and 16. OR have been out several times but have never improved things but the really strange thing is that two of my neighbours have FTTC off the same DP (we are all about the same distance from the DP) and both get 30 -35 !!!

OR ran some ‘line length’ tests and have concluded that ‘my’ line is around 300m longer than my two neighbours but with no explanation as to how this could be when we are off the same DP !! They indicated that as I was getting around 16 then that was ok.

Are there any technical suggestions as to why this is the case and how I might persuade OR (via my ISP, Plusnet) that there is a problem ?

One possibility I thought about was that when we moved house (before FTTC) we took our number with us – we only moved about 900m – I think we were off a different cab but same exchange.

Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 13-May-14 21:10:46
Print Post

Re: Line Length Issue ??

[re: mikegg] [link to this post]

The numbers are virtual, i.e. they can move it between copper pairs rather than physically moving the pairs around.

If you did see 37 Mbps from speed tests and it was not a false spike then suggests that the DLM profile has opted to slow you down to reduce errors.

To check if the line lengths are the same or not, it is a case of getting attenuation from the VDSL modems, either an unlocked device all an all in one like the SR102 from Sky. If your attenuations are the same then all the same length.

How long is the line?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mikegg
(newbie) Tue 13-May-14 22:23:18
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
How long is the line?

Stats that I was sent for myself (Set 1) and neigbour (Set 2). The distance from the Cab to the DP is approx 600m

Set 1
CSS Exchange: GRE

BT Post code: xxxxxxx
PCP Id: 9
DP Number: 411
ANFP Category: M
Circuit line length estimate: 2585
Circuit line length calculated: 3260
DP Line length: 2478
A – Earth capacitance: 188
B – Earth capacitance: 195
Celerity line loss: 40.1
LLC Line loss: 41.81

Set 2
CSS Exchange: GRE

BT Post code: xxxxx
PCP Id: 9
DP Number: 411
ANFP Category: M
Circuit line length estimate: 2733
Circuit line length calculated: 3070
DP Line length:2478
A – Earth capacitance: 176
B – Earth capacitance: 177
Celerity line loss: 36
LLC Line loss: 41.81

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 13-May-14 23:07:43
Print Post

[re: mikegg] [link to this post]

16 Mbps is bad for 600 meters, and probably about right 37 Mbps seen. As a guide by road 1.1 km from cabinet and get 18 Mbps from one line and 24 Mbps from the other. The faster line was also better for ADSL2+ and the slow one has had a couple of faults and repairs over the years.

That data does not seem to give cabinet to premise length, since the lengths mentioned would mean only 2 Mbps from FTTC

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User simon194
(experienced) Wed 14-May-14 00:11:50
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The distances could be in feet rather than metres.
  Print Thread

Jump to