General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Dean83
(newbie) Wed 14-May-14 23:09:24
Print Post

Exchange under evaluation, but no BDUK fund?

[link to this post]

Hi I am after some advice on the openreach superfast site when it says exchange 'under evaluation'. Basically I am on the finningley exchange in South Yorkshire . It was not covered by the soon to be defunct digital region and was not on the openreach commercial plans. It does now however state ' under evaluation' . Does is mean that there is now a BDUK fund with the chosen partner as bt for the roll out? I had been looking at 2 wisp providers to replace my two 5 meg adsl connections ( one is used for on demand tv services for sky, smart tv's etc) the other is used by the hand held devices and PC .the 2 wisps are quickline and jibba jabba. My neighbour had jibba jabba and appears to have a min speed of 30 meg. However , if fibre is coming soon I am reluctant to enter a 24 month contract with the wireless services. Being just 300 metres from my cabinet I should expect good speeds from vdsl .
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 14-May-14 23:42:24
Print Post

Re: Exchange under evaluation, but no BDUK fund?

[re: Dean83] [link to this post]

Either maybe under new south yorks project or the extra 50 mill of commercial rollout

Under Evaluation carries no guarantee

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Dean83
(newbie) Thu 15-May-14 00:10:07
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

From my basic research I think this is one of only 2 exchanges in the Doncaster area not currently fttc enabled (!neighbouring bawtry also has no fttc roll out ) it appears openreach installed cabs everywhere were digital region was installed . It's a shame that network failed, I know a number of users of this network and it performed brilliantly. It was let down by poor marketing . Suppose there is no way of bowing yet if OR will roll out so may have to settle with the wisp for now. Is anyone on these networks?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mlmclaren
(member) Thu 15-May-14 01:13:18
Print Post

Just to confirm the digital region schemes that installed lots of fibre and even connected premises up failed and is now offline??

MLM
Virgin Media 50/3 > SH2 Modem Mode > Airport Extreme 5th Gen
Cabinet 54 @ 320m (CMKING) Under Evalution
Standard User tikka69
(member) Mon 19-May-14 13:54:49
Print Post

Hi Dean83

Just noticed your post on the finningley exchange changing status on the OR website, it appeared a couple of weeks ago if I recall. I am also on the same exchange at Auckey

I also used to work for Thales on the DR network and to say I was gutted when Finningley was removed from the rollout is an understatement !

From what I recall a few months ago South Yorkshire region has now qualified for some additional funding ( 10 million if I remember rightly ), to allow it to achieve the required coverage.

I suspect this is the reason Finningley and Bawtry have now changed status.

Cant see finningley taking that long to decide on, if I recall there are under 10 PCPs feeding into it ( from when I had the details at Thales ).

Regarding the Wireless providers, I also got interested in this and ended up mates with Steve Jagger from Quickline as we did some work with them on DR. I was going to go for there service as there was a mast near J4 of the M18 but when the guy got up on the roof he couldnt pick up any signal from any of there masts... [censored] trees !

Hadnt heard of the JJ one but I suspect it might be lakeside IT reselling the QL service at a guess. They have a office too at Keepmoat and QL also have a mast there on it.

What kind of service does your neighbour get with it ?

Cheers

Paul
Standard User tikka69
(member) Mon 19-May-14 15:08:07
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

I think its being turned off in August at present, though obviously people are migrating away already
Standard User mlmclaren
(member) Mon 19-May-14 21:30:12
Print Post

[re: tikka69] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tikka69:
I think its being turned off in August at present, though obviously people are migrating away already

Terrible waste then.... I suppose the infrastructure installed will be sold off to someone else though if its shutting down then it can't of been sold yet.

@networkmclaren
VirginMedia The Big Kahuna 152/12 > SH2 Modem Mode > Airport Extreme 5th Gen
My BQM
Cabinet 54 @ 320m (CMKING) Under Evaluation (Awaiting FTTC)
  Print Thread

Jump to