General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User FredTheB
(newbie) Sat 17-May-14 14:46:39
Print Post

Will there be a fibre cabinet next to an old cabinet

[link to this post]

Hi,

i live in a village with no fibre yet. i have a picture of a cabinet about 80 meters away from my home: https://www.dropbox.com/s/saysnfm9onr3qos/image.jpeg

The phone exhange is in the village 1 mile away. Would they still stick a fibre cabinet near this one. could they stick a fibre cable to hear?

thanks

freddie
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 17-May-14 16:21:29
Print Post

Re: Will there be a fibre cabinet next to an old cabinet

[re: FredTheB] [link to this post]

Behind the greenery you may find a number on the side of the cabinet and you can confirm that is your cabinet with the BT Wholesale checker.

They could stick a fibre cab near to that one and link up to the cabinet, whether they will is another matter, but with no exchange or postcode/cab number difficult to say anything else.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Irby
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 17-May-14 17:27:59
Print Post

I don't know, but that's the best picture of an unhappy cabinet with an affro I've seen today.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User chris6273
(committed) Sat 17-May-14 19:42:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by FredTheB:
Hi,

i live in a village with no fibre yet. i have a picture of a cabinet about 80 meters away from my home: https://www.dropbox.com/s/saysnfm9onr3qos/image.jpeg

The phone exhange is in the village 1 mile away. Would they still stick a fibre cabinet near this one. could they stick a fibre cable to hear?

thanks

freddie

It's perfectly possible - About 75% of cabinets I've seen are not next to the Old PCB cabinets but instead on the other side of the road.etc.

I think I remember reading somewhere quite a while ago that the new Cabinets (FTTC Cabs) can be cited anywhere up to 100m away from the old PCB cabinets - The only limitation is the copper plant from the new FTTC Cab to the old PCB cab as it only needs fibre from the exchange and power from the grid other than the copper plant to support it.

From your picture I'd say there is easily enough space on the left of the cabinet (From the photographers perspective) to put a new FTTC cabinet if it is viable (Enough lines).

I find the FTTC programme is aimed more towards the number of people on cabinets vs. the distance from the exchange - Otherwise my house which is around 1.5km from the exchange wouldn't have FTTC available this June (Though the cabinet).

Also bear in mind it works the other way too - Stogursey (Down the road from our village) is getting FTTC Cabinets which are supplied from our exchange... and by road the cabinets are almost 3 miles (2.8 miles) away - As fibre length isn't an issue, cabinets can be placed as far away from the exchange as needed.

At the end of the day the answer is; yes - If the cabinet is viable.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Telewest (2004-2006): 256Kbps -> 512Kbps
BT (2006 - Present): 8128/448 -> 22494/1211Kbps on 21CN Huawei MSAN
University of Portsmouth's Horrible Network (2013 - Present) - Supposedly 100/100Mbps
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 18-May-14 09:05:39
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Behind the greenery you may find a number on the side of the cabinet and you can confirm that is your cabinet with the BT Wholesale checker.

Did you not spot the number 2 on the front then ? wink

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-May-14 10:54:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by FredTheB:

Best place to look would be the West Sussex broadband scheme:
https://www.westsussex.gov.uk/living/broadband.aspx

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6, Now 52/9, Sync @ 55 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
15 years broadband (1999 ntl: cablemodem, BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-AC68U (merlin) - Modem: HG612 unlocked Typical speedtest
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 18-May-14 21:32:32
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

[collapse]

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
  Print Thread

Jump to