General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User geoffreyc60
(newbie) Sun 18-May-14 17:05:22
Print Post

Massive IP Profile Drop Over 2 Weeks!

[link to this post]

Since FTTP Infinity 1 installation Last July we have been getting a rock solid 34Mbps IP profile, however, since the end of April this has dropped in steps to the point now where it is 20Mbps!

We are using Home Hub 4, nothing else is connected other than a laptop via wifi.

I admit I know very little about this subject and several suggestions from friends/colleagues have suggested - noise on the line, faulty Open Reach modem, faulty router although I've substituted another HH4 which was worse.

We will have a BT engineer visiting tomorrow afternoon and don't want to have to pay £129.99 if its not fixed - is there anything I can try myself or any questions I can ask him when he arrives, also what will he do to look for the fault?

Thank you.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 18-May-14 17:36:11
Print Post

Re: Massive IP Profile Drop Over 2 Weeks!

[re: geoffreyc60] [link to this post]

I got no idea how you can manipulate the engineer to look for a fault, as I havent succeeded in getting one to do so.

This seems a lucky dip game, you may get an engineer who is symapthetic and goes out his way to try and improve your service, or you could get one who says your service is in spec and as such "tough luck". This is assuming their basic testing finds no fault, its possible they may find a fault on their line tests. Openreach dont consider crosstalk as a fault tho so if the engineer believes its down to crosstalk you may well be told service is in spec tough luck.

What is the current and point of sale estimated line speed data if you have it?

(newbie) Sun 18-May-14 17:42:45
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

BT estimate we should be getting 34Mbps

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 18-May-14 17:43:48
Print Post

ok then that should if you lucky at least make the engineer try to improve things, but its no guarantuee.

Make sure you tell the engineer that is your estimate, as otherwise he may play dumb and just say he has no idea what it is.

(newbie) Sun 18-May-14 18:01:38
Print Post

The estimate I quoted is what a 'Level 2' tech told me last week.
Standard User bkaz
(regular) Sun 18-May-14 19:39:21
Print Post

"We are using Home Hub 4, nothing else is connected other than a laptop via wifi."

Are you testing over wired or over wi-fi? If latter, recommend you test it over a wired connection. You could also use the Diagnostics Option on the BT Wholesale speed test to confirm your broadband profile. If the results are low, then you can potentially eliminate wi-fi issues.

My boss told me, career is a verb.
(newbie) Sun 18-May-14 19:44:25
Print Post

[re: bkaz] [link to this post]

Tried both, just ran the BTW diagnostics prior to your post. Speeds are the same wired and wireless and of course IP profile is what I'm concerned about, I realize some actual speed loss could/might be incurred over wifi.

Edited by geoffreyc60 (Sun 18-May-14 19:45:25)

Standard User bkaz
(regular) Sun 18-May-14 20:31:13
Print Post

Ok.just confirming smile I guess you have tried to switch off the modem for approx 15 minutes.

My boss told me, career is a verb.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Mon 19-May-14 06:11:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by geoffreyc60:
Since FTTP Infinity 1 installation Last July
I assume you actually mean FTTC Infinity. FTTP would be running a lot faster.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Mon 19-May-14 06:12:13)

Print Thread

Jump to