General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User BIGEYE
(newbie) Mon 19-May-14 14:56:08
Print Post

Fibre broadband - which one?

[link to this post]

Fibre broadband has just become available in my area. I am new to fibre broadband so looking for some advice. My present ISP is Zen who can provide, but at a slightly higher cost, or switch to BT Infinity. I don't know if BT Infinity are any good, but they are offering a good deal for new users. Should I switch from my current ISP to BT or stick with Zen who have served me well for years.
Also, Zen fibre packages are offered with line rental. Do I need to change my line if upgrading to fibre. Also I have a nice router, do I need to change this also?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 19-May-14 16:19:11
Print Post

Re: Fibre broadband - which one?

[re: BIGEYE] [link to this post]

Who is your line rental with at the moment?

Do you have Sky TV?

Do you want BT Sport?

Do you need a static IP address such as Zen give you? On BT you would have to take a business product as you cannot have one on residential ones.

The BT Infinity service seems to be fine in itself, but there are currently problems with the free modem/router they send out losing connection frequently. The telephone support is not UK and I get a poor impression of it from the posts on these forums. There are also reports that repeated complaints on the in-house community forum can lead to being banned from there.

Zen are good. Plusnet are good, with good UK support plus an active helpful forum presence here and in-house. They allow you to take their line rental or keep what you have, but at a higher price. Static IP address available.

Sky is good but they normally require you to take their LLU line rental, which can be a bit of a nuisance if you decide to migrate out. Static IP address is a bit confusing, I can't be sure. They seem to have it for Be migrations (they bought Be), but I don't know abou others.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User BIGEYE
(newbie) Mon 19-May-14 16:37:09
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the comprehensive reply. I have went with Zen as they are more reliable and have UK based support. OK, its a bit more expensive, so swapped phone line as well to minimise the increase in cost.

Thanks again for the advice.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 19-May-14 18:29:33
Print Post

[re: BIGEYE] [link to this post]

Should be fine smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
  Print Thread

Jump to