General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RaveDave
(newbie) Tue 20-May-14 13:12:01
Print Post

Fibre Installation Problems

[link to this post]

I am hoping someone can give me some advice.

I am currently trying to upgrade my broadband to fibre, i am currently with Zen. When i contact Zen to order the fibre package, they do a check on my phone number to confirm speeds and availabalilty, they use a BT database called tags on the line http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/totl.welcome which shows that my line is ready for fibre and the speeds i can get, the problem is it lists a wrong postcode on this database which is a about 3 miles from where i live, Zen can't change it as it is not their databse, so they can't progress my fibre order, i have contacted BT both customer service and their 150 number and they say they have no record of this wrong postcode.

Zen have sent me the screenshot of the BT tags on the line database clearly showing this incorrect postcode. Has anyone any advice they can offer, because as it stands i won't be able to upgrade.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 20-May-14 13:53:28
Print Post

Re: Fibre Installation Problems

[re: RaveDave] [link to this post]

Ask them how they managed to connect you to their ADSL2+ service. (Is it a BT Wholesale service you are on, or their LLU type?)

What does this checker say for your phone number? Does it say the same for your full address, and does it say the same for the two postcodes - correct and incorrect? Make sure you note the exchange and cabinet number it gives in each case.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 20-May-14 13:55:15)

Standard User RaveDave
(newbie) Tue 20-May-14 15:06:59
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I am on the BT Wholesale service as Zen haven't any LLU presence in my exchange.

I have used the website link you have given me, when i try by phone number, it says i can have fibre broadband and gives me the exhange name and the cabinet number. When i try by my correct postcode it doesn't show fibre as being available, when i use the incorrect postcode it also shows fibre as not being available, and when i use my full address it gives the same information as my phone number search with the same exchange and cabinet info.

The cabinet number given for my phone number search and full address search also matches the screenshot that Zen sent me, which shows that that my phone number is linked up to the correct cabinet but its this incorrect postcode on this BTtagonline site that they use which is throwing everything out. No one at BT seems to be able to tell me how to get the postcode on this website changed and Zen can't do anything as it is not there system.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 20-May-14 15:11:08
Print Post

Searching by postcode alone is not the way to go, since a postcode can be shared between two or more cabinets, hence give funny results.

The job is down to Zen to collate and explain the problem to their supplier, BT Wholesale who will then work with Openreach to fix the database if there is an actual problem.

Has Zen actually tried to place the order, since it sounds more like their own pre-order checking is failing, rather than the BT Wholesale system.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RaveDave
(newbie) Tue 20-May-14 15:58:51
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yes, i ordered it from Zen with the incorrect postcode last week, it was noted at the time that the postcode on this bt tag on the line site was incorrect, the Openreach engineer was booked to come yesterday, but never showed up, i contacted Zen this morning to get them to look into why the engineer never showed, they came back to me saying that Openreach had told them that the engineer had turned up at 2:10pm at the address and had been told by someone at the address that they hadn't ordered fibre broadband, so if the engineer is telling the truth he obviously went to the address that the incorrect postcode relates to.

Zen are now telling me they should never have accepted the order in the first place and can't accept a new order until this BTtagontheline database postcode is corrected and that the only people that can correct it are BT yet they are denying that this postcode error exists.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 20-May-14 16:19:51
Print Post

BT is a big organisation willing to bet you are talking to the consumer arm who are nothing to do with this database.

It is down to Zen to chase on your behalf, i.e. escalate this within Zen to someone who knows who to contact in the right part of BT.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RaveDave
(newbie) Tue 20-May-14 16:29:21
Print Post

Any advice on the best way to escalate it? i am not too hopeful it will be resolved to be honest.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 20-May-14 16:44:37
Print Post

Talked to one of the Zen reps who post on the forums?

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 20-May-14 21:10:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Searching by postcode alone is not the way to go, since a postcode can be shared between two or more cabinets, hence give funny results.
That's why I asked for all those tests, to see where there was any consistency and what went wrong smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 20-May-14 21:15:01
Print Post

Is there another road with the same name at the wrong postcode?

For instance I live on My Road, Hazel Grove, Stockport, but there is another My Road, Stockport.

Four miles away on the other side of Stockport.

Looking up My Road on a Postcode checker it is easy to select the wrong post code. I'm wondering if that is how the tag database got corrupted, as it's the other one that appears first in the list for My Road.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to