General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User thinkpl
(newbie) Wed 21-May-14 10:50:42
Print Post

Is my profile wrong?

[link to this post]

Short version - my line was moved from an old Alu line outside my house which went away from the cabinet, to a newer copper line which goes the opposite direction towards the cab (the estate opposite was built in 1992 and required a new circuit).

My sync speeds are way out from my neighbour directly opposite, whose lines goes along the same cable run as mine, although technically slightly further away.

He syncs at around 100 down, and 23 up. Mine syncs at 65 down, but 34 up. Now, I can't complain about 65mb, but I do wonder if there's a profile issue which is giving too much away to an upload sync speed I can't use.

or am I barking up the wrong tree!

Thanks
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 21-May-14 11:05:32
Print Post

Re: Is my profile wrong?

[re: thinkpl] [link to this post]

Could you tell us the ISP and Product please? Both yours and your neighbour's.

What does this checker say about your phone number?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User thinkpl
(newbie) Wed 21-May-14 11:23:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi

We are both on BT Infinity Option 2

The results from the checker are :

Availability Date
High Low High Low
FTTC Range A (Clean) 80 63.4 20 19.9 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 75.1 47.3 20 16 -- Available

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 5 -- 3 to 7.5 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 5 Up to 1 3 to 7.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 4 -- 2.5 to 7 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast -- -- -- Available
Copper Multicast -- -- -- Available

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 21-May-14 11:28:34
Print Post

Neither of you should be able to sync upstream at higher than 20Mbps, and your neighbour shouldn't be able to sync downstream at anything higher than 80Mbps.

Are you sure you are reading the right numbers? What device are you reading them from?

Yes, it is perfectly possible/plausible for you to get only 65Mbps; crosstalk is a potential culprit - both expected and impossible to get rid of. A complete copy/paste of figures might be advisable.
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 21-May-14 11:46:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by thinkpl:
a profile issue which is giving too much away to an upload sync speed I can't use.

BTW - this can't happen (or, at least, shouldn't happen). There is no overlap between the downstream & upstream frequencies. If you let go of any upstream speed, it wouldn't be magically available to the downstream.
Standard User thinkpl
(newbie) Wed 21-May-14 13:51:11
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

All the info comes from DSLStats 4.53.1 on a HG612

If I recall from the ADSL days, there's a correlation between download and upload speeds (as described to me by Adrian Mardlin over the phone). Perhaps that's not the case with VDSL?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 21-May-14 15:07:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by thinkpl:

If I recall from the ADSL days, there's a correlation between download and upload speeds (as described to me by Adrian Mardlin over the phone). Perhaps that's not the case with VDSL?

No, there is not. On ADSL Upstream uses the first block of carriers or tones and then downstream uses teh remainder until they are too attenuated or noisy.

You could have two users one with very little attenuation getting say 20M down an 1M up and another user with a long highly attenuated line getting 2M down and 1M up.

With VDSL there are several smaller blocks of Upstream at higher tones however they are fully defined and there is no trade-off or swapping around. The tones - in each bandplan never change.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User thinkpl
(newbie) Wed 21-May-14 15:46:31
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks - good to know.
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 21-May-14 16:10:27
Print Post

Right. Have you given us attainable figures, instead of the actual sync speeds?

Do you have a "connection stats" tab within the "telnet data" section?
If so, copying the data here would help.

Perhaps that's not the case with VDSL?

I don't recall a correlation in plain ADSL; my technical background tells me there shouldn't be a correlation either - but I could be wrong. Because the upstream band sits only at the lowest frequencies, and isn't overlapped, it rarely gets affected by distance, downstream speeds, or crosstalk from other users.

There was rumoured to be a link in ADSL2+, which is why Plusnet did not automatically increase upstream speeds after switchover to 21CN. However, that link turns out to not have been as significant as they thought. Like ADSL, I can't think of a real reason

For ADSL2+ Annex M, you do see a correlation: Some frequencies that are (for ADSL2+) normally used for downstream are instead used for upstream. Downstream speed ought to decrease, while upstream should increase, when using annex M

In VDSL, there are multiple upstream and downstream bands that don't overlap, so you see the same effect as ADSL (ie no correlation). I don't know of an equivalent of Annex M here.

However, VDSL has different bandplans that an operator can choose, which use different boundaries between the upstream & downstream bands. Choosing a different bandplan will allow for different speeds up & down... we saw such a change in 2011 when BT swapped from the 40/10 setup (using 7MHz and the 997 bandplan) in preparation for the introduction of 80/20 (using 17MHz and the 998 bandplan). Some people could see a re-balance happen between their up- and down-stream, even before 80/20 packages became available.

Because some of the VDSL upstream frequency bands are higher than in ADSL, they do suffer from the effects of distance - which is why the upstream can degrade in VDSL.
Standard User thinkpl
(newbie) Wed 21-May-14 16:34:59
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Here are the full stats. My neighbour syncs at about 100down (so he caps out at 80), but only sync up at 23 or so (and get the 20mb cap)

I thought the fact that my up stream is pretty much half of the down stream was odd, give that the upstream should be more difficult to attain. Again, I could be talking cobblers smile

xdslcmd info --stats
xdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY status
Retrain Reason: 0
Max: Upstream rate = 30503 Kbps, Downstream rate = 64960 Kbps
Path: 0, Upstream rate = 19999 Kbps, Downstream rate = 64505 Kbps

Link Power State: L0
Mode: VDSL2 Annex B
VDSL2 Profile: Profile 17a
TPS-TC: PTM Mode
Trellis: U:ON /D:ON
Line Status: No Defect
Training Status: Showtime