General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User HughA
(newbie) Thu 22-May-14 18:51:03
Print Post

Will I ever get FTTC?

[link to this post]

I live in Welwyn Garden City and can only get a 3Mbps ADSL connection. I would love to get FTTC but Openreach have told me it is not economically viable to make it available to my cabinet (50) despite most other cabinets in the area having been converted. BDUK tell me my cabinet is outside their area as it is considered to be in a BT commercial area. What chance is there of Openreach considering this as a fill in? My street is served by Virgin Media bur they are very expensive if you are not prepared to have their phone service and the upload speeds are poor compared to FTTC.
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Thu 22-May-14 19:48:00
Print Post

Re: Will I ever get FTTC?

[re: HughA] [link to this post]

If virgin cable is available in most of the area then there is pretty much no chance of getting the cab upgraded using BDUK funds, and the commercial program is almost done and dusted. I don't think its likely for the foreseeable future

Edited by Ribble (Thu 22-May-14 19:50:27)

Standard User Undisputed
(newbie) Thu 22-May-14 20:06:37
Print Post

Highly unlikely if there is cable already available. We have a few cabinets here that haven't been upgraded prceisely because of that reason. There's money money to be generated by supplying FTTC to those areas that don't already have access to any form of high speed broadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mlmclaren
(member) Fri 23-May-14 00:26:30
Print Post

You mentioned that Virgin Media is very expensive....

You can get a 50mb connection from virgin for £25 a month on its own.. a landline is not required and if you take more services like telephone and TV with them you will find you can get a nice deal with them...

The cheapest I think I've seen FTTC for is £30-£35 per month as you will require a landline.

So Virgin will either be the same price if not cheaper.

If you get referred to Virgin media you will also get free installation and a friend will get £50 off there bill..

I would be more than happy to refer you if you don't know anyone already laugh

Standard User HughA
(newbie) Fri 23-May-14 08:54:42
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

For various reasons I prefer to keep my phone line with BT. If I could get FTTC it would cost me £18.49 a month from Plusnet against £25 for Virgin. I know the packages are not directly comparable but are the cheapest available and sufficient for my needs. I don't have my phone line with Plusnet so the price comparison is valid.
Standard User kingbiscit
(learned) Fri 23-May-14 09:10:05
Print Post

I live in an area where I get less than 3mb ADSL and no access to cable... its not a remote village, it is in Warrington.

Hate to say it but you are very lucky to have access to Virgin. The are competitively priced and offer a really fast connection, I can't understand why you would care so much about keeping your BT line?
Standard User MrFied
(newbie) Fri 23-May-14 09:25:59
Print Post

[re: kingbiscit] [link to this post]

I can only agree with kingbiscit. If I had access to Virgin I'd bite their hand off. I live near the centre of a small town where most cabinets are upgraded. No plans for my cabinet and no access to Virgin. Gutted.
Standard User brandscill
(committed) Fri 23-May-14 09:35:44
Print Post

You're unlikely to find sympathy here. Too many of us (me included) are in your shoes and have no Virgin option.

If you want faster internet and must have a phone line I would switch to Virgin in a heartbeat.

£23.50 for the first 6 months and then £31.50 thereafter (this includes phone line).

Yes their upload speed may look pale in comparison to fibre but it doesn't look pale when you cannot get it.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Fri 23-May-14 19:45:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by HughA:
For various reasons I prefer to keep my phone line with BT. If I could get FTTC it would cost me £18.49 a month from Plusnet against £25 for Virgin. I know the packages are not directly comparable but are the cheapest available and sufficient for my needs. I don't have my phone line with Plusnet so the price comparison is valid.

But....BT line rental are very expensive. I had ditch BT as they are far greedy. I had migrate line rental over to plusnet to reduced fibre and line rental cost

Edited by adslmax (Fri 23-May-14 19:47:16)

Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Fri 23-May-14 19:50:46
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adslmax:
But....BT line rental are very expensive. I had ditch BT as they are far greedy. I had migrate line rental over to plusnet to reduced fibre and line rental cost

Is English not your first language mate?

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
TalkTalk Business Fibre 79987/19999 kbps