General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jerre
(newbie) Fri 23-May-14 14:34:15
Print Post

Call Flow Solutions

[link to this post]

As my ISP is not available in the ISP specific section I am forced to post in the general FTTC section. My ISP Call flow solutions provide me with a 20Mb FTTC VDSL2 connection with which I am extremely happy.
However , for the last month or so their supplied billion bipac 8200n modem/router has been playing up and disconnecting intermittently...
This made me go out and buy myself a very nice alternative wireless VDSL2 modem/router (ASUS DSL-N66U)...
Here is my problem : When I asked them for the VDSL settings so I could get rid of their supplied modem , it turned out this was not allowed for security reasons. I could use the new modem as a router , but had to keep using their modem as the internet gateway.
It is very unsightly however , and on top of that the ASUS has a lot more/better functionality.
I have tried to setup the VDSL connection on the ASUS , but I only seem to manage to get an ADSL connection working , and this only syncs at half the speed (15mbps) .

I have asked ASUS for help , but they can't work it out either...

So , I am after help/guidelines on where I can find or how I can configure the DSL-N66U to sync with my provider (call flow solutions)...

Thanks
J
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 23-May-14 16:57:24
Print Post

Re: Call Flow Solutions

[re: jerre] [link to this post]

Call Flow Solutions is a sub llu solution and their choice whether to release connection details. Not seen anyone publish them

Is the billion a sealed unit you cannot log into? Since the settings should be in that device somewhere

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 23-May-14 18:45:59
Print Post

I'm a little confused, you say you have 20mb FTTC, but you can get ADSL working which gives you half the speed at 15mb.

15 is not half of 20, also you can't have adsl working on a line that is FTTC.

What does this page, selecting address checker at the bottom say for your address?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 23-May-14 18:58:54
Print Post

Is "their modem" an Openreach box, HG612 or ECI something?

If not, how long have you had the FTTC?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User partial
(committed) Fri 23-May-14 22:01:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Call Flow is a small scale, sub loop unbundler and wireless provider.

Their VDSL cabinet is their own, not part of the Openreach rollout.

Edited by partial (Fri 23-May-14 22:05:05)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 23-May-14 22:50:26
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

Ooooh heck!

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User sills
(regular) Fri 23-May-14 22:52:50
Print Post

Callflow supply a preconfigured Billion 8200n modem router, they don't give you a separate VDSL modem like Openreach.
Standard User brandscill
(committed) Sat 24-May-14 08:48:28
Print Post

Could you instead ask them to replace their router as it's faulty and return yours? I know you'd rather use the ASUS but I guess you could save some money this way.
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 24-May-14 15:47:47
Print Post

Should make things interesting when vectoring turns up.
Standard User frowbags
(newbie) Fri 01-Aug-14 12:46:21
Print Post

Hi, I've just joined Call Flow and they are now sending out the Billion 8800NL modem/router. This is not a bad little device, it has a USB port for plugging in an external drive for using as a media server, not used that yet. A single gig-e port and 3 x 100meg ports. No external aerials, the wi-fi coverage is about 10% down on what my Zoom x7n was pushing out. It also has a snr option in the web gui for altering your snr if you are on an ADSL connection.
I asked if I could use another router and they told me no as well.

They advertise an 'Upto' 25meg down and 2 meg up service in my area. I'm getting (according to the router stats page). 21998 down and 1200 up. The attainable rate is showing 43148 down and 5070 up, a pity they are capping the speeds, perhaps they are keeping the speeds low so they can dish out a 'free' upgrade in the future.
This is my speedtest result - http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3661462222
I've only had the service for a day and a half and have to say the increase from the paltry 1.1 I was getting before is bloomin' fantastic smile
  Print Thread

Jump to