General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User burble
(newbie) Fri 23-May-14 19:49:11
Print Post

'They' have nicked our street cabinet!

[link to this post]

Soon the long awaited FTTC should be arriving in our village curtsy of the Bedfordshire BDUK project. After years of a 1.2mb connection the idea of FTTC to the street cabinet just a couple of hundred yards up the road was a exciting prospect, would we hit max speed?

When the map was published last year was a bit puzzled as our road was at the edge of FTTC area, the next road along would not get it. Couple of weeks back new underground copper was laid to our pole, thats good I thought they are making a torough job of it.

Yesterday as I walked to the polling station I noticed our street cabinet had been removed, most odd, now I've realised what has happened, all the lines in our village have been taken back to the cabinet in next village, we will be on the end of a long copper line so will proboly get 15mb, and being LLU with TalkTalk can expect to pay a premium of £10 per month for this,.

Damn and blast, it seems the infrastructure has been put in place so that in years to come we will be left behind again.
Standard User Icaras
(regular) Sat 24-May-14 13:07:53
Print Post

Re: 'They' have nicked our street cabinet!

[re: burble] [link to this post]

Are you sure they've actually removed your cabinet and re-routed your lines? This doesn't make sense, it seems highly unlikely. If you spot an Openreach engineer as them what is going on.
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Sat 24-May-14 13:20:30
Print Post

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

Possibly to meet the 2Mbit/s 'USO' but cheaper than doing FTTC.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User burble
(newbie) Sat 24-May-14 14:02:42
Print Post

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Icaras:
Are you sure they've actually removed your cabinet and re-routed your lines? This doesn't make sense, it seems highly unlikely. If you spot an Openreach engineer as them what is going on.

Yep cabinet has gone, I can trace where the cable was replaced back to the empty spot, now appears to just be an underground chamber. The cable had been replaced by contractors, the next day openreach where working outside my house as all the houses in next road had been cut off, unfortunatly I hadn't realised at that time the cabinet had gone, I've not as yet found the one we're now conected to,but there doesn't appear to be any cabinets in our village, shall have a scout around this afternoon. Seems very shortsighted to me.
Standard User zom22
(member) Sat 24-May-14 14:05:17
Print Post

It might have been a SCP (Secondary connection point) cabinet and not a full PCP cabinet.
(like Binfield Heath village which was served by two SCP's)

Edited by zom22 (Sat 24-May-14 14:07:03)

Standard User burble
(newbie) Sat 24-May-14 14:05:34
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ribble:
Possibly to meet the 2Mbit/s 'USO' but cheaper than doing FTTC.

I'm not sure how they will manage that, we are on 1.2mb, those in next road will be even less
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 24-May-14 15:56:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by burble:
Seems very shortsighted to me.

It could be that the re-arrangement of the copper makes for enough properties to make one PCP viable, where two separate PCPs would have been left out.

Do you know what cabinet no. the BT Wholsale DSL checker used to say for your line, compared to now? The cabinet should be in the top line of the result.

Usually, I'd point you at http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ to check phone number.

However, that won't work with a TalkTalk LLU number, so I'll point you at this address checker instead: http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.address

Don't use the postcode checker (it gives bad results), but you can put just the postcode into the address checker, then it gives you a list of addresses to select from.

Also, do you know what number cabinet was painted on the removed cabinet? Perhaps it is visible on an old picture from Google streetview.
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Sat 24-May-14 16:06:46
Print Post

Presumably by providing FTTC from the other cabinet if that's what's happened.
FTTC dosnt have to be the precursor for all future Broadband
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 24-May-14 16:13:34
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Interesting thought.

In the North Yorkshire project, the budget allocated for the USC portion of work means that, ironically, it costs more per home for the USC component than the cost per home for the SFBB component.
Standard User burble
(newbie) Sat 24-May-14 17:46:28
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
In reply to a post by burble:
Seems very shortsighted to me.

However, that won't work with a TalkTalk LLU number, so I'll point you at this address checker instead: http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.address

Can't get that to work, but I've tracked down the new cabinet which still has barriers around it. Fortunatly they have slightly diverted from going straight to the nabouring village, and placed the cabinet between us, it still leaves around 1.25miles of copper to my house, this hopefully will give at least a 10 fold increase, but then going from dial up to 512kb gave this which at the time seemed great but nowadays would be seen by most as a joke.
I'll be happy to be able to stream iplayer etc, but what of a couple of years time when streaming 4k tv or such like will be the norm?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to