General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Lkue
(newbie) Tue 27-May-14 19:41:10
Print Post

Aberystwyth Exchange - enabled, how much longer?

[link to this post]

The main town went live last month along with the second most populated village in the area. We're the third most populated village in the area and were next on the list for FTTC, the cabinets went in months ago and for the last couple of weeks we had droves of contractors (Telnet) connecting them all up. I saw them lay the fiber to my cabinet last week. Since then they have moved on to the next village over. The village I live in has had a fiber backbone for years that is rented from BT by the university, I'm assuming because of this they won't need to lay fiber to the exchange which I haven't seen them doing. They just seem to have been connecting all the smaller cabinets (Huawei 288 max type) up to a gigantic PCP that serves the university/student halls.

The Superfast Wales date on the rollout map was June 2014 before it went green. In a case such as this when everything has been seemly connected how much longer can it take? I've been checking the BT Wholesale checker everyday to no avail.

Edited by Lkue (Tue 27-May-14 19:42:13)

Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Tue 27-May-14 19:50:08
Print Post

Re: Aberystwyth Exchange - enabled, how much longer?

[re: Lkue] [link to this post]

Fibre, Power , copper, electrical testing then commissioning each cabinet , then a matter days. Depends how far along the chain it really is.
Standard User Lkue
(newbie) Tue 27-May-14 19:56:21
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Is it in that order? I had assumed that fiber was the last stage. If not then I may be in for a much longer wait that I had anticipated frown.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Tue 27-May-14 20:01:30
Print Post

The order is not fixed or particularly relevant.
Standard User burakkucat
(experienced) Wed 28-May-14 14:08:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by Lkue:
and for the last couple of weeks we had droves of contractors (Telnet) connecting them all up.
For future accuracy I'll make a correction . . . the contractors are from Telent. wink

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User Loopy65
(member) Thu 29-May-14 16:48:32
Print Post

The main town isn't live .. I am in the centre of town (Buarth area) and there is no availability showing yet. Penparcau can place orders now but I don't think anyone is actually online with fibre yet are they?!

Getting a little frustrated here as the broadband is getting more and more erratic!!
Standard User mrijones
(newbie) Thu 29-May-14 17:13:40
Print Post

Which village are you in? Is it off the Aber exchange or does it have one of it's own?

The fiber used by the university isn't going to be used to provide FTTC/P.

Which gigantic PCP do you mean? The ones at the juction at the top of Penglais Hill? I think that's a power cab for the mobile mast next to it.
https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=52.419441,-4.06042&spn...
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Thu 29-May-14 17:16:54
Print Post

[re: mrijones] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mrijones:
Which village are you in? Is it off the Aber exchange or does it have one of it's own?

The fiber used by the university isn't going to be used to provide FTTC/P.

Which gigantic PCP do you mean? The ones at the juction at the top of Penglais Hill? I think that's a power cab for the mobile mast next to it.
https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=52.419441,-4.06042&spn...

You are right - it is
Standard User Icaras
(regular) Thu 29-May-14 17:53:51
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

Some cabinets MUST be live as Aber Is marked as accepting orders on the Openreach site. Any activity round cabinet 8 at all (near the church hall in Llanbadarn Fawr)?
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Thu 29-May-14 18:10:01
Print Post

[re: mrijones] [link to this post]

If that's the cabinet in question it appears to be for the mobile mast next to it
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to