General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User tonytiger07
(regular) Tue 27-May-14 21:55:44
Print Post

FFTC install - it works, but not overly happy.

[link to this post]

Had FTTC activated today - 80/20 profile - and it's up and running, which is good but not happy with the engineer install.

The engineer, from MJ Quinn, wasn't familiar with the area and wasn't even sure where the cabinet was (fair enough if not been to the area before). When he turned up asked where my isp provided modem/router was which concerned me - I'm not with a mass market isp and was just expecting an open reach modem and to plug my router in to it. Having explained this, he did understand and got a modem from the van (an ECI, just my luck!)

After he'd been to the cabinet and made the changes, he came back, plugged the modem in, then asked if had a laptop and a lan cable! Now, maybe I'm just mad, but I really expected that the "engineer" would have all the necessary kit (including a laptop) to check everything was working. I also expected that the openreach modem would have come with a lan cable - they come with everything these days - why wouldn't they come with the modem?! Fortunately I did have one to hand.

But what really, really, peed me off was when he declared the install complete having just connected the modem to my several years old adsl filter - no shiny new interstitial face plate fitted, not even a shiny new standard plug in filter/splitter. I queried this with him but no, apparently they're not needed (which might technically be true), they just exist because openreach like to see their name on the master socket, and besides I have a extension wiring connected to the master socket! And he then said this wasn't a managed install!!

Well if it's not a managed install, why have I had to take the day off work to be available for a 5 hour appointment slot. Anybody can plug a modem into a phone socket and check if the light has goes green. I actually wanted self-install, and have put off getting it sorted for months because nobody offers that for 80/20 fttc - yet on the basis of this install there is absolutely zero reason that an engineer needs to install kit in the home - all fttc should be self install.

I'm absolutely furious!!

I have to say it does seem to be working just fine, but their should be a standard, defined install procedure where everybody (or nobody) gets the faceplate.

I have asked my ISP to raise a complaint with openreach about this - not so much with the engineer, but just about the process.

Is this typical these days? Was I expecting too much?
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Tue 27-May-14 22:45:48
Print Post

Re: FFTC install - it works, but not overly happy.

[re: tonytiger07] [link to this post]

Ask your ISP what type of install they ordered. It may have been modem only install. Not all contractors do bad work.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Tue 27-May-14 23:00:19
Print Post

I had a 80/20 install done a few weeks ago by MJ Quinn and the engineer was top notch - I'm with TalkTalk business. He moved the master socket to where I wanted it and put on a new openreach mk2 faceplate. Took him around 40 mins and I couldn't be happier with the installsmile BTW who is your ISP?

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
TalkTalk Business Fibre 79987/19999 kbps
Powered by Linksys EA6900
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Edited by baby_frogmella (Tue 27-May-14 23:00:58)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 27-May-14 23:03:32
Print Post

Cowboy, telling fibs.

One point however where you are mistaken. A "managed install" is where the user's router is also connected and a connection to the internet via the ISP PPP login established. Or in the case where the ISP supplies a modem router that this is done with the supplied box.

A non-managed install is where a modem connection to the DSALM at the cabinet is proved to pass the tests.

They are supposed to fit an Openreach interstitial faceplate. End of! So another one could be on its way to eBay.

The old dangly filters (and ADSL faceplates) will work, but apparently the new OR one is to a higher spec to prevent the VDSL2 frequencies affecting the voice circuit and VDSL2 frequency noise getting back onto the line from the voice wiring. (That's what the filters do, the broadband socket is unfiltered).

Having extension wiring present is precisely the reason for fitting an interstitial filter rather than the earlier type of broadband filtered faceplate. It means the extension wiring on the back of the NTE5A need not be disturbed. The new filter plugs into the test socket and the existing NTE5A plugs into the new filter plate. Slots are there for the extension wiring to go through.

Your FTTC may be running. What you can't easily tell is if it is running as well as it should.

Create a stink! About Quinn's and their engineer. There is nothing wrong with the process. They are not following it, but they are paid so to do. You want it sorted out and properly tested.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User tonytiger07
(regular) Wed 28-May-14 09:32:32
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

@Ribble - yes, I hadn't realised there were 2 types of install - so if it was modem only, fair enough, but still doesn't get away from the lack of a faceplate.

@baby_frogmella - I'm sure there must be plenty of competent engineers working for Quinn (and Kelly) - and in fact the guy that did my install might have been perfectly competent, after all it is up and running - it's just his excuses for not fitting a plate were feeble, and I don't know whether he genuinely thought they were good reasons for not doing it, whether he just needed to get on to the next job (a 30 minute drive away in another town), whether he just couldn't be bother, or whether he has a nice sideline flogging openreach parts! My ISP is now Aquiss.

@RobertoS - thanks for clarifying the different types of installs - I'd assumed they were all the same (my ignorance). I did think, but couldn't remember for certain, that there wasn't any impact on the extension wiring if a filter faceplate was fitted - otherwise I'd have argued more strongly for getting one fitted - or even for him just to leave one with me to fit myself. I contacted my isp very shortly after the engineer left to ask them to log a complaint with openreach. I've been told though that nothing else will be done now unless a fault develops, and I don't really want to have to wait in for an engineer to call back anyway. Whilst talking to my isp, I was told that most fttc installs now seem to be by a contractor rather than a 'proper' openreach engineer in their experience. Don't know if others have found the same.
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 28-May-14 10:17:16
Print Post

You could always buy a Mk2 filter from Ebay wink

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 28-May-14 11:17:44
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

It might even be the one that should have been installed there tongue.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 28-May-14 11:25:48
Print Post

What does this checker give for your FTTC estimates - using your phone number? Copy those into a draft post.

Then run the BT Performance Tester. Ignore all the red instructions, just click that you've done them.

When you get the initial results page click the Further Diagnostics near the bottom. It will ask for your phone number, then after a few seconds wait will come up with a more detailed page.

Please copy and paste the full contents of the down and up results text boxes into the earlier draft post. We don't need the graphics part.

That will give us some idea of how your line is performing against expectation.

Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 28-May-14 13:15:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The thought did cross my mind.

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Wed 28-May-14 13:32:50
Print Post

The engineer wasn't sure about the location of the cabinet, he didn't know that you required a modem, he didn't fit a filtered faceplate - sounds like a case of poor communication and workmanship to me. Hopefully the broadband performance will be good demonstrating that he at least did a good job at the cabinet after he eventually found it!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to