General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User blounty
(newbie) Wed 28-May-14 19:50:18
Print Post

FTTC interesting situation/question

[link to this post]

If FTTC has been installed to the cabinet that supplies my local area. Should all houses on that cabinet get access to faster speeds?

There are 49 houses from my postcode (plus more in other postcodes) connected to a cabinet and all but 6 (of the 49) can get FTTC broadband. Mine is obviously one of the 6 that can't frown

I can't speak to Openreach direct, and my service provider keeps saying that fibre is not available to my house so there is nothing they can do.

Does anyone have any information or contact details that I can use to try and rectify the issue?

Thank you to R0NSKI and other for the information so far.

Edited by blounty (Wed 28-May-14 20:15:31)

Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 28-May-14 19:59:54
Print Post

Re: FTTC interesting situation/question

[re: blounty] [link to this post]

Is it possible that these six houses are just too far away from the cabinet? What sort of distance is involved?

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 70000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User blounty
(newbie) Wed 28-May-14 20:08:08
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

it's less than 0.2 miles, and some of the houses that do have FTTC are even further away than mine.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User delone
(experienced) Wed 28-May-14 20:33:48
Print Post

The most likely explanation is that the 6 houses are not on the cabinet you think they are. They may be on another cabinet that doesn't have FTTC or could even be exchange only lines. There is also the small possibility that BT's records are incorrect.

Del
Standard User blounty
(newbie) Wed 28-May-14 21:38:07
Print Post

[re: delone] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies guys.

According to both http://fttc-check.alc.im/ and http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ I am on cabinet 117, which is the same cabinet as all of my neighbours.

I am also over 3 miles away from the exchange, so I doubt that I am exchange only.

I really hope that it is just that BT Openreachs record are incorrect. However there doesn't seem to be a way to get in touch with them and sort this out, as they will not speak to the public. Any help would be appreciated.
Standard User Storm_Force
(learned) Wed 28-May-14 21:54:20
Print Post

Very strange sounds like a database issue, could you do a screenshot of the bt checker results?
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 28-May-14 22:18:44
Print Post

[re: delone] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by delone:
The most likely explanation is that the 6 houses are not on the cabinet you think they are. They may be on another cabinet that doesn't have FTTC or could even be exchange only lines. There is also the small possibility that BT's records are incorrect.

Del

All 49 properties are shown as on the same cabinet, so it's certainly a database error. I've seen it loads of times on here.

Standard User blounty
(newbie) Wed 28-May-14 22:25:39
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Yep. I just need a decent contact.

Openreach won't speak to me. "I have to go through my ISP"
ISP can't do anything because Openreach say the property can't accept fibre.

Very frustrating!!!
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 28-May-14 22:33:25
Print Post

Check you messages, I've sent you a decent contact.

Standard User mikejp
(regular) Thu 29-May-14 08:05:21
Print Post

blounty - there is another possible factor - if the cabinet is part of a County BDUK scheme it will probably only have one card in place and I understand further cards are added by BT outside the BDUK budget as 'demand dictates'. Without knowing the type of cabinet it is difficult to be sure as each type has different cards with different line capacities,

This is the info I have (which may be wrong!)

"The 288 uses 48 port cards, so needs 6 for full capacity. The 128 uses 32 port cards, thus needs 4, while the (larger) 256 capacity ECI cabinets use 64 port cards and thus also need 4. I therefore make the minimum number of lines to expect in each cabinet to be 48, 32 and 64".

I believe most County schemes are only providing a minmum of 20% capacity. - ask your county if applicable?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to