General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User hchaloner
(newbie) Fri 30-May-14 10:53:43
Print Post

Will it or won't it happen this year?

[link to this post]

Hi,

I am apparently connected to CAB7 on WNRST in Rossett. The rural village is apparently having Superfast Cymru fibre rolled out. The only thing is that depending on what you read, this is being made available Spring 2014, some say September 2014 and some by the end of the year.
Anyhow, there has been lots of activity going on recently with Telent vans appearing and a number of shiny new green cabinets have been installed. There has been the black/yellow tubing laid in parts of the village also. My CAB7 has a new one right next to it and the tarmac has been renewed between the 2 CABS.
What I am trying to find out is whether this is it for 6 months and it will be next year before it is live or if it will be anytime soon. Is there any way of knowing what cabs will come on first and so on?

Any insight into the latest progress and dates would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Fri 30-May-14 11:50:42
Print Post

Re: Will it or won't it happen this year?

[re: hchaloner] [link to this post]

If cabs are already stood then I would expect them to go live sometime this year. Depends on what, if any, complications arise.
Standard User hchaloner
(newbie) Fri 30-May-14 11:59:38
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Thanks for that. Is it normal to land the cabinets so early before they go live - not sure of the total works involved so may be my expectations are too high? I guess that until the BT vans and engineers turn up it is not going to happen anyway.
I've just found out that the checks on the FTTC checker site I used says I have an uplift of 4.5. I currently get around 6.5 mbps on ADSL so that doesn't sound like much of jump to me so perhaps there is not much to get too excited about other than the possible upload speed increase. I work from home so that would be a good benefit. I had thought the speed increase may have been proportional.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tialaramex
(newbie) Fri 30-May-14 15:57:53
Print Post

[re: hchaloner] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by hchaloner:
I've just found out that the checks on the FTTC checker site I used says I have an uplift of 4.5. I currently get around 6.5 mbps on ADSL so that doesn't sound like much of jump to me so perhaps there is not much to get too excited about other than the possible upload speed increase. I work from home so that would be a good benefit. I had thought the speed increase may have been proportional.

You say you thought "the speed increase may have been proportional" but proportional to what? The uplift estimate means they think you might get in the vicinity of (4.5 x 6.5 =) 29 Mbps down.

As I understand it the major factors that determine your uplift are the copper from the cabinet to your home (VDSL beats ADSL more the shorter the cable, it's not just linearly faster because of the way different signal frequencies behave) and the copper from that cabinet to the exchange (which obviously the fibre is removing from the equation, so the longer that was, the bigger the advantage from side-stepping it).

I agree though that going from 6Mbps download to 30Mbps, or 40Mbps (or even 80 or 110) isn't necessarily that big a deal and that for those who use it the improved upload can be a more dramatic difference.
Standard User hchaloner
(newbie) Fri 30-May-14 16:06:46
Print Post

[re: tialaramex] [link to this post]

Perhaps proportional was the wrong approach, my thought process was that if I am getting 6.5 from a theoretical 8 (say 85% of total capacity) then when the fibre is installed to the increase would be up to a theoretical 80 say so 85% of that maybe but obviously this may not be the case.
  Print Thread

Jump to