General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User stubert
(newbie) Fri 30-May-14 23:49:19
Print Post

BT Hub on Sky FTTC

[link to this post]

Is it possible to use the huawei modem and HH4 on a Sky fibre line???? I have today switched from Infinity to Sky (to save money) but have noticed how poor the Sky SR102 actually is.....
My speed has actually increased so no complaints there but the wifi is very poor and streaming .mpg files through it from a laptop to my Xbox360 is impossible..(will play but the picture stutters when the bitrate is high and is connected through Ethernet not wifi)
Rather than me buying a new router or even a WDTV to play movies I was hoping I could to go back to the HH4 as I never once had a problem with streaming 720p movies....
Any help appreciated.....

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 31-May-14 01:18:37
Print Post

Re: BT Hub on Sky FTTC

[re: stubert] [link to this post]

What speeds are you actually getting ?

For a picture to stutter the line must be running at well under 10Mbps

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User mlmclaren
(member) Sat 31-May-14 02:02:57
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I do believe that the problem is regarding the transfer rate from his laptop through the Sky Hub to the XBOX and unrelated to his actual DSL Line.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 31-May-14 07:59:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by stubert:
Is it possible to use the huawei modem and HH4 on a Sky fibre line???? I have today switched from Infinity to Sky (to save money) but have noticed how poor the Sky SR102 actually is.....

The main issues with the SR102 are WiFi - ethernet should be fine. Have you tried any speed tests? What speed does the SR102 think you are connected at?

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6, Now 52/9, Sync @ 55 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
19/5/2014 - just ordered PlusNet Unlimited Fibre - awaiting activation date
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cablemodem trialist) - Router: Asus RT-AC68U (merlin) - Modem: HG612 unlocked Typical BT speedtest
Standard User wolf359
(committed) Sat 31-May-14 09:43:19
Print Post

Buy yourself a gigabit switch
Connect the router to the switch and connect everything else via the switch, the sr102 is only 100mbits, which in itself should be enough, I have a similar setup and can quite easily stream multiple hd files from a mac onto multiple apple tvs my sr102 only acts as a dhcp server and it's wifi is supplemented by additional access points around the house.
You may well find that your cabling doesn't even support 100mbit, poor cabling will result in it falling back to 10mbit mode

Sky broadband MAX

The force may be with them, but it won't prevent their assimilation
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 31-May-14 09:49:30
Print Post

I don't think it will work, the HH4 is locked to BT (and maybe Plusnet). They do an unlocked version which I think is the HH4r but you probably don't have one of those.

You can unlock the Huawei modem and use that as a combined modem/router which should work and then use the HH4 as an access point as another option, or just use the HH4 as an access point to the SR102 as the previous poster said.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User stubert
(newbie) Sat 31-May-14 11:50:01
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Connected at 100mbits through Ethernet....

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User stubert
(newbie) Sat 31-May-14 12:17:50
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

All working fine now!!
Tried it again this morning (streaming) and the stuttering was still present, unplugged all the ethernets from behind the router and connected them back into different ports and now the stuttering has gone????
Very strange, even tried a 1080p on it just now and that streams fine!!!!
As for the wifi I can live with that for now as I can always get myself a wifi extender if needed...

Thanks for the suggestions all......

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Icaras
(regular) Sat 31-May-14 12:32:47
Print Post

I wouldn't expect your speed to remain higher than Infinity. You are connected to the same cabinet and it is the Openreach fibre cabinet that is negotiating the sync speed, nothing to do with Sky. It's probably just because it is a new provide and the DLM has been recalculated.
Standard User stubert
(newbie) Sat 31-May-14 13:06:51
Print Post

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

Yes, I had an attainable of around 43meg with BT and synched at around 40meg when first installed about two and half years ago. This slowly crept down to 29meg over time due to DLM / crosstalk etc. with sky I now get 40meg again with a snr of 6.5db so I am expecting this to stay around this mark now... Line has been stable for 24hrs now, done a lot of gaming, downloaded maybe 40gig and still going good....
I have taught the wife that the router must not be unplugged at night to which I think was the initial cause of my speed drop!!!! wink

My Broadband Speed Test
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to