General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User MrPete
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 31-May-14 23:46:25
Print Post

New router. Advice please

[link to this post]

Hi
Since Jan 2013 I've been using an Asus rt-n65 router and its worked quite well.
Over the last few weeks I've been having random reboot issues and Asus sent me some beta firmware to try.. Unfortunately that hasn't helped so they've advised the router may be faulty.

Amazon have agreed to refund the full amount I paid, as they have no stock of this router.

So now I'm looking for a replacement and would like some advice.

I would like a router that has all the standard features, firewall, port forwarding etc but I'd also can gigbit lan, guest WiFi, VPN termination and the ability to enable and disable dhcp and WiFi without it dropping the fibre connection.

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Peter
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sun 01-Jun-14 00:37:02
Print Post

Re: New router. Advice please

[re: MrPete] [link to this post]

Not sure about the last bit, but the Asus N66U seems to tick the boxes - especially if used with Merlin's firmware.

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User MrPete
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 01-Jun-14 08:52:55
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply.
On the 65U any changes made to WiFi, port forwarding, dhcp etc all restart the wan interface.

Ideally I'd like that not to happen.. Does anyone know how the 66U handles that ?

Or any other suggestions.

Should also say wireless coverage is important.

Thanks

Peter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Sun 01-Jun-14 08:59:22
Print Post

I like my Billion 6300wx. It wasn't that cheap but it's been very reliable and I know that it supports dual stack IPv4/6 as I had it configured that way on my previous ISP. There aren't many routers can make that claim (I know - I went through three before I found this one).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Billion-6300NXL-Gigabit-Wire...

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User MrPete
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 01-Jun-14 09:30:24
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Hi
I'd been reading up on the billion 7800dxl, curious as to how that performs.

Noticed a comment on the Amazon page about port forwarding and virtual servers..can you explain.

Also does the wan connection restart when you start/stop dhcp, WiFi, guest WiFi, port forwarding etc?

Thanks

Peter
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Sun 01-Jun-14 10:19:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrPete:
Noticed a comment on the Amazon page about port forwarding and virtual servers..can you explain.
I think the main difference is that you can change port numbers. So for instance I actually have more than one incoming port going to 110 on my mail server so that I can still access POP3 from networks that restrict 110. This is what DLiink says about it although their routers support both:

http://www.dlink.cc/knowledgebase/what-is-the-differ...

One thing that's odd is that you have to disable SPI functionality on the firewall if you're going to forward ports.
In reply to a post by MrPete:
Also does the wan connection restart when you start/stop dhcp, WiFi, guest WiFi, port forwarding etc?

I think it does for port forwarding but not the others.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Sun 01-Jun-14 21:56:29)

Print Thread

Jump to