General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User muiscatron
(newbie) Sun 01-Jun-14 17:54:17
Print Post

Fibre in Hastings

[link to this post]

Hi,
Looking for advice for a small business in Hastings, currently with Sky ADSL and need a faster upload speed. Much confusion reigns as to whether FTTC is available or when it will be ready. Exchange status is "Accepting Orders" but BT say it's not being rolled out yet.
Exchange is Hastings, cabinet is 79.
http://fttc-check.alc.im/ has blank entries for the Phase and Deployment date for the cabinet.

FTTP is available apparently, so I am considering ordering. A colleague was quoted £500 installation + £42 PM. At this price, it sounds like it is FTTP on Demand - although the price quoted seems to be the pre May 1st 2014 one.

Has anyone else been in the same situation where you are deciding to go with FTTP in the absence of a date for FTTC? I really need a solution immediately but would not like to be locked into a 36 month contract for FTTP especially if prices are going up.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 01-Jun-14 18:34:00
Print Post

Re: Fibre in Hastings

[re: muiscatron] [link to this post]

This doesn't help, but my clarifying what you are thinking about might.

At any given fibre-enabled cabinet the people connected to it will only be offered FTTC or FTTP. They cannot choose. FTTC and FTTP are the same retail price

However, there is also FTTPoD, which is only available to people connected to an FTTC-enabled cabinet. And even then, it is subject to survey, not a given that any particular premises can have it.

If you cannot get FTTC then you cannot get FTTPoD. The checker to use (assuming your Sky connection is LLU) is this one. Unless you are in a BDUK, B4RN or similar deployment area, in which case that tends to be updated at the last minute.

As you say, your colleague must be getting FTTPoD, but that means his cabinet is FTTC-enabled already.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 01-Jun-14 18:56:36
Print Post

Here's cab 79 in the corner next to the phone box. Have a look and see if it has a new fibre twin nearby, it could be up to 100 meters away, but is usually closer.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User muiscatron
(newbie) Sun 01-Jun-14 22:52:21
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

RobertoS, thanks for the reply.
I should have said, the colleague I mentioned was dealing with the same address, I am just helping him out. So what confuses me is that he has been given pricing that looks like FTTPoD, while checking Samknows for the phone number shows FTTC unavailable, and FTTP available.
From your reply, that should not be possible?
Also, I tried using the checker that you linked to, and it says
"There is no data available for this number. This could be either because it is not a BT line or it is a new BT number that has just been provided."
Standard User simon194
(experienced) Mon 02-Jun-14 01:03:14
Print Post

The BT Wholesale address checker doesn't list any dates for fibre but because there are a large number of exchange only lines in the centre of Hastings I'm wondering if any PCPs in the area will be done if/when they start sorting fibre out for them.

There's also the added problem with Wellington Square being in the Old Town Conservation Area so planning permission is required for the fibre cabinet.

Originally when fibre was being rolled back in 2012 the council was hoping to have 100% fibre coverage by the end of 2014 as part of their regeneration plans. It's unlikely because there have been problem with the siting of a number of fibre cabinets which has delayed deployment.

Edited by simon194 (Mon 02-Jun-14 01:07:06)

ISP Representative merula
(isp) Mon 02-Jun-14 01:24:48
Print Post

Any chance of the whole Postcode ? You can PM (if Ic an have the full address even better.

Cab 79 in Hastings is showing as to be enabled under BDUK funding but FTTC only.

However there may be more too it (or you could be on one of the neighbouring exchanges).
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User simon194
(experienced) Tue 03-Jun-14 21:46:46
Print Post

[re: merula] [link to this post]

My doctor's surgery used to be in Wellington Square, it's postcode was TN34 1PB.

Cab 79 is definitely on the Hastings exchange but as I mentioned below the square is in the Old Town Conservation Area so the FTTC cab will need planning permission. Probably why Openreach have left it out of the commercial rollout.

The remaining cabs that were part of the commercial rollout are supposed to be up and running by the end of the year.
Standard User Richeh
(committed) Sat 07-Jun-14 12:58:18
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

Very odd coming across this post as from Hastings myself and lived in Wellington Square for 4 years! I was lucky that as it was still ADSL2 I got 20MB through UK Online.

TN34 1PB is the correct postcode for the Dr's and my old flat there!

Back at parents:

Sky Broadband Unlimited:
4mb down 768k up frown

Waiting on fibre...
Standard User simon194
(experienced) Sat 07-Jun-14 19:30:03
Print Post

[re: Richeh] [link to this post]

ADSL2+ speeds around the centre have always been good because the exchange is on Middle Street.
Standard User FredTheB
(newbie) Sun 08-Jun-14 12:39:19
Print Post

If you just stay with ASDL+ you already get 20mbps download speed and 3mbps upload speed. Ideal for starting a business. But if you choose fttp you will easily get 100mbps
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to