General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bowdon
(member) Sun 01-Jun-14 22:32:42
Print Post

New to fibre.. speed question.

[link to this post]

Hi all,

Recently got BT Fibre and all is going well. Loving the speed. One thing I have noticed though is that though the connection keeps at around 77mb's download connection speed, is it normal for the download speed to vary when downloading?

I have downloaded things at 9.7mbps at first when I got it. Now its moving around at 9.5mbps and seems to vary downwards and back up during a download. The slower download speeds do seem to appear at night time.

I'm using the HH5 from BT. I can see why people don't like it. It seems to do a lot of remote things.

Demon => Freeserve => Pipex => Be => Sky => BT Infinity 2
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Mon 02-Jun-14 10:33:17
Print Post

Re: New to fibre.. speed question.

[re: bowdon] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bowdon:
Recently got BT Fibre and all is going well. Loving the speed. One thing I have noticed though is that though the connection keeps at around 77mb's download connection speed, is it normal for the download speed to vary when downloading?
Sure. That's true of any network connection. I don't get a consistent speed when transferring from my server across my LAN. Computer networks are a lot like road networks and suffer analogous problems. You wouldn't expect a constant speed between London and Glasgow and nor should you between computers on the internet.

There are some behaviours though that are characteristic of a particular class of problem. When you say it varies - by how much and in what ways? In particular - is it just a bit slower at certain times or is it constantly fluctuating?

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Mon 02-Jun-14 20:10:09)

Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Mon 02-Jun-14 12:09:40
Print Post

Hi all,

I have downloaded things at 9.7mbps at first when I got it. Now its moving around at 9.5mbps and seems to vary downwards and back up during a download. The slower download speeds do seem to appear at night time.

I'm using the HH5 from BT. I can see why people don't like it. It seems to do a lot of remote things.

But to answer it in a non patronising way.. yes that's normal. FTTC has a 2 day settling period and then it's best effort. Mine dropped from 78 to 72.4 after 2 short power cuts close together. DLM should bring it back up but if not then it's still the best because it's like it 24/7

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Mon 02-Jun-14 20:08:30
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by pcoventry76:
Hi all,

But to answer it in a non patronising way.. yes that's normal. FTTC has a 2 day settling period and then it's best effort. Mine dropped from 78 to 72.4 after 2 short power cuts close together. DLM should bring it back up but if not then it's still the best because it's like it 24/7
The OP has stated that their connection speed is not changing. I've highlighted the relevant text.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Mon 02-Jun-14 20:15:36
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Andrue:
In reply to a post by pcoventry76:
Hi all,

The OP has stated that their connection speed is not changing. I've highlighted the relevant text.

Yes? and? do you want a cookie?
Standard User JNeuhoff
(experienced) Mon 02-Jun-14 21:24:38
Print Post

77mb's download connection speed

9.7mbps at first

Now its moving around at 9.5mbps

Are you sure you got fibre broadband? These are extreme variations, looks to me yours is a VDSL line, not a fibre line. With these crazy variations something might be wrong on your copper wire.
Standard User Squirrel
(knowledge is power) Mon 02-Jun-14 21:26:55
Print Post

That's perfectly normal. I clearly have no idea what you are downloading or where you are downloading it from. There are so many variables between your computer and the source of the download. Any of the links could become busy and slow down, packets could take different routes through the network, source server could get busy etc etc

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 02-Jun-14 21:27:14
Print Post

[re: JNeuhoff] [link to this post]

I think his lower figures are probably download site MByte/s figures, not Mbps. They would fit perfectly into 77Mbps sync.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Squirrel
(knowledge is power) Mon 02-Jun-14 21:29:27
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I think his lower figures are probably download site MByte/s figures, not Mbps. They would fit perfectly into 77Mbps sync.

Agreed - that fits exactly - when my line is going flat out I can get 80Mbps / 10MBps. So purely a "mistake" in the terminology used by the OP I'm sure.

Standard User bowdon
(member) Tue 03-Jun-14 10:30:52
Print Post

Thanks for the reply guys.

The local area number fibre went off last night. From about 6:40pm until around 2:30am this morning. Thanksfully its back on! Phew lol.

Demon => Freeserve => Pipex => Be => Sky => BT Infinity 2
  Print Thread

Jump to