General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User adammde
(newbie) Mon 02-Jun-14 16:42:58
Print Post

Advice on new install

[link to this post]

Hi, hoping you guys can help with a concern!

We ordered fibre through TalkTalk Business for our company, an Openreach contractor turned up (very late) today and struggled to figure out how to fit a line.

Eventually figured it out and plugged in the TalkTalk Huawei modem, told us he wasn't there to do the fibre, and left, having broken a PDQ line in the process (another engineer coming to repair).

TalkTalk tell me a third engineer will come out to do the fibre part of the job, but I am concerned about the quality of line fitted, as ADSL is only syncing at ~9mbit/s, when our company is on the main road with the cab, definitely much less than 100m away.

Is ADSL sync indicative of fibre sync?
Standard User troublegum
(newbie) Mon 02-Jun-14 16:53:46
Print Post

Re: Advice on new install

[re: adammde] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adammde:
I am concerned about the quality of line fitted, as ADSL is only syncing at ~9mbit/s, when our company is on the main road with the cab, definitely much less than 100m away.

Not at all. The ADSL "signal" is coming from the exchange, not the cabinet. There could be quite a distance between the exchange and the cabinet.
Standard User adammde
(newbie) Mon 02-Jun-14 17:01:39
Print Post

[re: troublegum] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply!

The exchange is about a mile from the cab, if you follow roads and allow an inefficient route these things seem to take. Does ~9mbit/s reasonable for this distance?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User IranianGiraffe
(regular) Mon 02-Jun-14 17:34:16
Print Post

If you are on ADSL2+ and only a mile away then I'm pretty sure it should be around double that, but after a mile the speed drops off very quickly, if you go to http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adslchecker.php and put in telephone number or postcode then it should tell you a pretty decent estimate of how far away from the exchange it actually is.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 02-Jun-14 18:09:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by adammde:
Hi, hoping you guys can help with a concern!

We ordered fibre through TalkTalk Business for our company, an Openreach contractor turned up (very late) today and struggled to figure out how to fit a line.

Eventually figured it out and plugged in the TalkTalk Huawei modem, told us he wasn't there to do the fibre, and left, having broken a PDQ line in the process (another engineer coming to repair).

TalkTalk tell me a third engineer will come out to do the fibre part of the job, but I am concerned about the quality of line fitted, as ADSL is only syncing at ~9mbit/s, when our company is on the main road with the cab, definitely much less than 100m away.

You are expecting "fibre" which I take to mean FTTC and you have been left with 9Mbps ADSL on the line. Did it have ADSL before? And can you get the full ADSL line stats from te modem/hub currently installed. 9Mbps is a little slow but there could be a reason.

What hardware is currently installed?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Mon 02-Jun-14 21:57:01
Print Post

You ordered goods from the butcher and the baker turns up with something you don't want and manages to break something while there. Well that's TalkTalk for you and probably an Openreach contractor thrown into the mix as well.

It seems that new FTTC customers are, as a matter of course, expected to put up with these poor quality installation jobs which increasingly seems to be the norm. Monkeys and Organ Grinders spring to mind.
Standard User adammde
(newbie) Tue 03-Jun-14 09:09:53
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

If you are on ADSL2+ and only a mile away then I'm pretty sure it should be around double that, but after a mile the speed drops off very quickly, if you go to http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adslchecker.php and put in telephone number or postcode then it should tell you a pretty decent estimate of how far away from the exchange it actually is.

Thanks very much for the replies guys. Yes so far just ADSL2+. Kitz gave 998m (direct, so a bit meaningless), 1.5km by road (although I suspect their routing is optimistic). The BT estimate shown is 14mbit, I too would have expected better than 9mbit...

You are expecting "fibre" which I take to mean FTTC and you have been left with 9Mbps ADSL on the line. Did it have ADSL before? And can you get the full ADSL line stats from te modem/hub currently installed. 9Mbps is a little slow but there could be a reason.

What hardware is currently installed?

Yes FTTC, and no it was a new line install (we use ISDN for phone lines and Virgin for broadband). My concern is that the Openreach contractor wired into an easily accessible secondary DP rather than running it from the main DP in the loft.

The TalkTalk modem is a Huawei, I can check the model and line stats, would I have recourse to have the line rewired if the stats are poor?

You ordered goods from the butcher and the baker turns up with something you don't want and manages to break something while there. Well that's TalkTalk for you and probably an Openreach contractor thrown into the mix as well.

Yes I was most disappointed in the contractor OR sent in, I've had excellent experience with OR engineers before but this third party company took no care in the work. TalkTalk have been helpful though, so I'll reserve judgement on them for now!

Edited by adammde (Tue 03-Jun-14 09:20:01)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 03-Jun-14 09:27:06
Print Post

A new line install and iy has ADSL operational. Whereas you ordered FTTC.

Something is definitely not right there. Why would a supplier get the exchange links in place for ADSL if they were to be immediately superceded by FTTC/VDSL.

You mention primary and secondary DPs - are they fully linked and documented? If so it could be that there is a good enough pair between the two that could be use. However, if you have that sort of install a third party contractor may not be the right person to do the end to end install.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User lexden16
(member) Tue 03-Jun-14 09:45:29
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
A new line install and iy has ADSL operational. Whereas you ordered FTTC.

Something is definitely not right there. Why would a supplier get the exchange links in place for ADSL if they were to be immediately superceded by FTTC/VDSL.

You mention primary and secondary DPs - are they fully linked and documented? If so it could be that there is a good enough pair between the two that could be use. However, if you have that sort of install a third party contractor may not be the right person to do the end to end install.

A family member recently had BT Business Broadband installed on a new line and it followed the above pattern. If I recall, he had ADSL for about a week before getting upgraded to FTTC. I guess that it is something to do with BTW and BTOR. Makes no sense but that is how it seems to be.

Edited by lexden16 (Tue 03-Jun-14 09:53:49)

Standard User eckiedoo
(committed) Tue 03-Jun-14 13:08:31
Print Post

[re: lexden16] [link to this post]

Could it be that there is ADSLx equipment being freed up in the Exchanges, so to get an "improved" although not final service to the customer, the "freed-up" ADSLx equipment is being used?

Would this also make it easier for OR to assess the line quality, from the Exchange, by noting the speeds etc achieved by ADSLx?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to