General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ggl17
(newbie) Tue 03-Jun-14 13:38:45
Print Post

Cable length

[link to this post]

Hi,

We're in a managed office which has a shared comms room.

We're looking to get FTTC installed but I was wondering what the maximum length is of the RJ11 cable which goes between the openreach faceplate and the vdsl modem?

The reason is we were hoping to get BT to install the faceplate in the comms room and then connect it over the internal CAT5 cabling (with RJ11/RJ45 adaptors) to our office and put the modem and router in there.

Is that feasable?

Thanks
Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Tue 03-Jun-14 14:57:09
Print Post

Re: Cable length

[re: ggl17] [link to this post]

If you get the separate modem and router you will be best off installing the modem near the faceplate with a long ethernet to the router.

I think you could get away with quite a bit of RJ11 cable (or ethernet used for RJ11) (I have seen up to 30 meters quoted) between faceplate and router, but will lose signal and thus speed.

--
Moved (with trepidation turned relief) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 03-Jun-14 15:46:06
Print Post

Re: Cable length

[re: ggl17] [link to this post]

Totally feasible ... and I have seen it done with over 100m of cable from faceplate to modem. Fortunately not much noise and it worked.

However, in your case: The comms room with be electrically noisy, running through the cable bundles will expose it to further noise from other signals and you will almost certainly loose potential for higher data rates. You need to keep the noise pickup to a minimum.

Put the modem in the comms room and then the output from that can go through the internal Cat5 cabled network to your router.

And there is no need for RJ11/RJ45 adapters - an RJ11 will plug into an RJ45 socket although if you do as I suggest you will not need them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to