General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 04-Jun-14 13:59:24
Print Post

Re: FTTC availability question

[re: nellisere] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by nellisere:
I always thought if it shows Fibre Multicast but no Fibre speeds because the distance was too far to warrant good enough speeds.
That looks to be the case here, the cabinet is 1.9 miles away according to google

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________

Edited by BatBoy (Wed 04-Jun-14 14:01:43)

Standard User wolf359
(committed) Wed 04-Jun-14 15:30:56
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It's definitely per cabinet around here
I'm on merthyr cab 57 and mine shows fibre multicast and copper multicast since the fttc went AO, my daughter is on cab 18 same exchange and hers only shows copper multicast as her cab isn't yet AO for fttc

Sky Fibre Unlimited

The force may be with them, but it won't prevent their assimilation
Standard User GarySN
(newbie) Mon 09-Jun-14 14:55:32
Print Post

[re: wolf359] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by wolf359:
Check to see if it's in a BDUK area as they don't show on the checker until they're ready to accept orders
OK, a glimpse of hope...

I've been to https://www3.hants.gov.uk/broadband/broadband-signup... to check the state of rural broadband in the area. When I go to enter the address for the property, I get the response below.

Can anybody confirm if this is good news???

Already available or due to be covered by commercial upgrades

You are in an area which either already receives superfast broadband or where there are commercial plans to provide it before 2015.

For this reason, you do not need to register with the faster broadband campaign.

If superfast broadband is available to you now, the box below will display the maximum predicted speed that you should be able to access. Because superfast broadband is delivered using different technology to ‘conventional’ broadband you will need to contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP) to find out how to take advantage of these speeds, or use a price comparison site to see what services are available.

Speeds currently available in your area

Superfast Broadband
Type: BT FTTC xDSL

Up to 24Mbps basic broadband
Type: BT 21CN xDSL
The maximum speed your line can support is 2.5Mbps.

Up to 8Mbps basic broadband
Type: BT xDSL
The maximum speed your line can support is 2Mbps.

Edited by GarySN (Mon 09-Jun-14 15:35:21)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Mon 09-Jun-14 16:16:14
Print Post

[re: GarySN] [link to this post]

It dosnt change what you know already, you are connected to PCP with a fibre cab , but it appears your line is too long.
Standard User GarySN
(newbie) Mon 09-Jun-14 16:27:29
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ribble:
It dosnt change what you know already, you are connected to PCP with a fibre cab , but it appears your line is too long.
I don't understand. Its states that, "If superfast broadband is available to you now, the box below will display the maximum predicted speed that you should be able to access."

Since there is no figure shown, surely this falls into the category of, "...there are commercial plans to provide it before 2015."
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 09-Jun-14 16:47:54
Print Post

No law saying they have to provide it to everyone yet, what is the counties target level?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 09-Jun-14 17:40:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by GarySN:
Since there is no figure shown, surely this falls into the category of, "...there are commercial plans to provide it before 2015."
To me it looks like it falls into the category of "you are too far away from the cabinet to get FTTC".

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User JimmyBoy
(committed) Mon 09-Jun-14 18:33:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by GarySN:
I don't have a number to search on, but obviously an address...

If the house has been previously occupied, try the Postcode Checker. Also try the addresses of neighbouring properties.
It is NOT unknown for the Openreach database to be hopelessly (and unforgivably) incorrect.

Example 1

Example 2

SOLAR - 0129 on a SKY HD Box - As good now as they were on FM in the 1980s!

Edited by JimmyBoy (Mon 09-Jun-14 20:50:39)

Standard User equiton
(learned) Mon 09-Jun-14 21:41:18
Print Post

We are in an area which is treated as covered by existing or expected commercial coverage.
We are not going to get commercial coverage and are too far away to get the existing service.
The local BDUK project Digital Derbyshire will not look at the area because to them its already catered for so is not eligible for public funding. A catch 22 situation that is most likely going on all over the country. There are several villages in this area where this is going on.
There was one line in an email from Digital Derbyshire that implies the problem may be addressed at some point,
''This national programme has been developed centrally over a number of years, and has to be followed to receive the grant. There are known issues with the current programme, these are being considered centrally within BDUK, as there are many areas deemed as covered commercially that are over 1.6 kilometres from the serving cabinet, which is the distance that speeds begin to drop''
The current situation for us is that we are not included in any roll out plans until the end of 2016. without this problem been addressed by BDUK we will not receive any improvements through the landline network. You may well be in the same situation
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 10-Jun-14 12:37:49
Print Post

[re: equiton] [link to this post]

In short what you have is a limited amount of funding available, thus its cheaper to do another cabinet elsewhere than handle the 1 to 3% on each cabinet who get slow speeds or are too far from the cabinet at all.

Some cabinets are missing out at totally due to the spread of properties.

Each line is a just a number in a grander scheme and with limited money decisions are made to get the most bang per back overall.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to