General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User izzziee
(newbie) Wed 04-Jun-14 09:45:19
Print Post

confusion with new fibre instal

[link to this post]

Hi, I know next to nothing about these things so please be gentle with me tongue
We had infinity 2 installed a week ago, we were getting speeds of 74/18 but many many disconnects, after speaking with the help desk people in India (which was a trial!) they discovered a fault and every thing was fixed, so far so good. My husband logged into the home hub and saw our data rate is now set lower than it was at 66681 and speeds dropped to 62/19. Last night we suffered a power loss to the hub and our speeds are now 57/18, the data rate has dropped to 62797 (the data rate numbers seem stable unless we get a disconnect when they drop)
My question is will we ever get higher speeds back now or have the many disconnects made our higher speeds look falsely unstable? Does something have to be reset in the exchange or whatever?

Our estimate speeds on the bt telephone checker and on our installation order are 67/19.9 - 80/20 as of today they are 57/18

Many thanks smile
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-Jun-14 09:54:27
Print Post

Re: confusion with new fibre instal

[re: izzziee] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by izzziee:
My question is will we ever get higher speeds back now or have the many disconnects made our higher speeds look falsely unstable? Does something have to be reset in the exchange or whatever?
Your line will recover (if it can) automatically. There's nothing that can be done to reset it (or at least it seems that ISPs are unable to ask for it to be done). It can take several days to several weeks before you see a change.

The change will be dependant on your line 'behaving' ( smile ). With FTTC the DLM system counts the number of errors over a period of time and uses that to determine how to adjust the line. More info here:

http://community.plus.net/library/browsing/fttc-dlm-...

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User izzziee
(newbie) Wed 04-Jun-14 10:05:00
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Thank you that is really helpful smile

So its just a waiting game, i had wondered if we had been set to a lower profile and there was no going back!

Having said that, even these lower speeds are a vast improvement on our 3.5/.75 !!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-Jun-14 10:17:07
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Andrue:
In reply to a post by izzziee:
Your line will recover (if it can) automatically. There's nothing that can be done to reset it (or at least it seems that ISPs are unable to ask for it to be done). It can take several days to several weeks before you see a change.

The change will be dependant on your line 'behaving' ( smile ). With FTTC the DLM system counts the number of errors over a period of time and uses that to determine how to adjust the line. More info here:

http://community.plus.net/library/browsing/fttc-dlm-...

Some ISP's can - Plusnet put my line rate back to what it synced at after I had a power cut - it's dropped and risen again but it can be done.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 04-Jun-14 10:27:25
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

With Plusnet things may be a little more confused because they have a mirror of the IP Profile that can become mismatched.

None of the providers have direct control of the DSLAM settings for FTTC, the best that potentially can be done is a fault report/request for DLM to be reset.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 04-Jun-14 10:30:20
Print Post

[re: izzziee] [link to this post]

The Openreach DLM does appear to recover if you leave it alone, my line dropped to 15 Meg on speed tests but has since recovered to around the 20 Meg mark. http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

So slow as around 1.1 to 1.3km of telephone line involved.

The Openreach DLM tries generally to favour zero errors rather than fastest speed, the theory most likely being that zero errors is more important to video streaming once you get above a certain speed threshold

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User izzziee
(newbie) Fri 06-Jun-14 08:43:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Just an update, I did a speed test this morning and the speeds have risen to 70/19 so all is well smile
Thanks for the help smile
  Print Thread

Jump to