General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User pouser
(regular) Wed 04-Jun-14 17:02:50
Print Post

Exchange only line, FTTC not supported

[link to this post]

HI

I have moved into a new address. My exchange is being fibre enabled and there is a new cabinet installed about 1/4 mile away. The exchange shows enable date in June 2014.

I have used http://fttc-check.alc.im/search/XXXXXX and the result shows 'Exchange only line, FTTC not supported' in the results.

This was a postcode search so all in my area will get the same result. Can anyone explain what this means, please?

Thanks

Steve
Standard User IranianGiraffe
(regular) Wed 04-Jun-14 18:15:26
Print Post

Re: Exchange only line, FTTC not supported

[re: pouser] [link to this post]

Steve,

We really need more info from you.

Basically if you are an exchange only line then you will not be able to order FTTC as you are connected directly to the exchange, for FTTC you need to be connected to a cabinet which also needs to have a fibre cabinet connected to it.

So simply put you need to have a cabinet put in for the exchange only lines (this is normally done directly outside the exchange but not always) and then a fibre cabinet connected to it, so we need to find out what that new cabinet is and what's it for?, if it has been placed nearby another green cabinet then it's likely to be a fibre cabinet for that nearby cabinet which is only useful for the people connected to the cabinet (so no good for you).
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 04-Jun-14 20:15:32
Print Post

A postcode search can be the least accurate checker, as some postcodes can be served by 2-3 cabinets and/or EO lines, as the phone infrastructure in most cases far predates the existence of postcodes.

The most accurate check is by phone number into this checker. If you haven't got a phone yet, use the full address option. Not the postcode one.

With luck, it will give a cabinet number above the table of estimates.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User IamQ
(experienced) Wed 04-Jun-14 21:38:17
Print Post

[re: IranianGiraffe] [link to this post]

Sad times - I have the same problem at one of my sites. 4 main cables coming in from 2 separate exchanges, direct runs of 100's of pairs terminated on our own MDF and runs of at least 1km >. Depending which cable I use ADSL2+ gives anything between 14-20mbit with no chance of anything else.

To add to this OpenReach will *not* install me any lines off the local loop at all (Which is almost all FTTC enabled)

You however may be lucky - you just might have to wait a while... It depends how long your line is from the exchange, and how its split from the main cable - I presume there is a DP somewhere in your situation so there is a chance at some point they could build a cab and do something. If the lines are short they can deploy in the exchange or in a cab outside the exchange.

Edited by IamQ (Wed 04-Jun-14 21:40:17)

Standard User pouser
(regular) Thu 05-Jun-14 16:21:58
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi

The checker reveals that I can get up to 3 meg ADSL (we actually stuggle to get 1.5) but there is no mention of which cabinet.

We are about 3.5 km from the exchange so I cant imaging we are connected by direct line to exchange?

The cabinet I mentioned is directly across the road from the old cabinet (there is not room on same side of road for a new one. This cabinet is approx 400m from the house. There are about 150 houses on the site built in 1989.

A house in the same street shows cabinet 6 and availability date is 30 June 2014. My number was changed when we moved in about 7 weeks ago, Could we be on a shared line possibly? The previous occupier had two lines to the premises one BT and one TalkTalk but there is only one wire to the premises.

Any ideas, please?

Steve

Edited by pouser (Thu 05-Jun-14 16:35:13)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 05-Jun-14 16:29:50
Print Post

If no cabinet then it is usually an EO based line.

It is possible to check this and also see whether you are a lone EO line or part of a larger cluster, but need postcode information to do that.

EO lines can be next to the exchange or many km's away.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User pouser
(regular) Thu 05-Jun-14 16:37:38
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi

I added this to the post probably after you read it!

A house in the same street shows cabinet 6 and availability date is 30 June 2014. My number was changed when we moved in about 7 weeks ago, Could we be on a shared line possibly? The previous occupier had two lines to the premises one BT and one TalkTalk but there is only one wire to the premises.

The other house (50m) away has the same postcode

Steve
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 05-Jun-14 16:41:16
Print Post

Still does not help in identifying your situation. Postcode or better full address sent in a private message or email will get you some clarity.

Not sure what you mean by a shared line.

If there was really just one wire to the premises a telephone would not work, as each line needs two wires. The wire you can see is the outer PVC sheath on a bundle of 4 to 8 wires usually, supporting two or more telephone lines.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 05-Jun-14 17:07:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by pouser:
My number was changed when we moved in about 7 weeks ago
Use your Full Address in the address checker then http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.addres...

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User pouser
(regular) Thu 05-Jun-14 17:10:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi sent an email...not sure how to send PM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to