General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 09-Jun-14 17:41:52
Print Post

General question about fibre cabinet in a rural location

[link to this post]

My line is a bit odd
I am connected to cab 20 according to the system but in actual fact there is a central cab with a number of auxiliary cabs (I am on cab 20/1)
Would it be reasonable to assume that they will only convert the central cab to fibre and not the auxiliary cabs.
If they do that how are they likely to handle the interface
Would they connect from the fibre cab to the existing cab with a multi core connector and then connect the individual lines to a separate junction box in the cab or some other method given that the existing cab probably doesn't have much/if any spare space
No rush because I am not scheduled to get fibre until summer 2016 according to the Superfast website
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 09-Jun-14 17:46:23
Print Post

Re: General question about fibre cabinet in a rural location

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

only the central cab gets the fibre twin

Nothing odd interface wise, since your phone lines already go through cabinet 20, just they sub split at cab 20/1

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User zom22
(member) Mon 09-Jun-14 18:02:48
Print Post

These auxiliary cabs are called secondary connection points SCP's
In practice they are really nothing more than glorified joint boxes.
A SCP can either be a pillar or a small BT cab' physically.

Just as an underground joint box is where a cable feeding a group of houses is split off to the distribution point at the top of the nearby pole.
So to is an SCP where an incoming umpteen pair cable from the main PCP is split up into several smaller cables radiating out to nearby roads.

It all depends on how the population density of housing was at the time the network was being set out whether BT (or rather the GPO then!) used a central PCP with all the sub cables (D-sides) radiating out from it or whether they used a Central PCP and then satellite SCP's.
My own PCP has both. 95% of the D-sides come direct from the PCP however a group of houses some 2km+ distance away are fed/distributed out from cables running from a local SCP pillar to them - itself being fed from my main PCP.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 09-Jun-14 18:07:29
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the quick responses
Looks as though I will get about 25/9 when it eventually comes - a bit of an improvement from 3.7/.88
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 09-Jun-14 19:18:36
Print Post

for what I was doing I did not notice the difference. I think SKY download is about 2.5M and so there is not much that makes this faster apart from one or 2 other downloads. Would I go back from FTTC to ADSL, no chance unless the money was the limiting factory

IanD
  Print Thread

Jump to