General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dde0apb
(newbie) Mon 09-Jun-14 21:29:58
Print Post

Rural Exchange Only - will BT put in a cabinet line ?

[link to this post]

I am about to move to deepest Gloucestershire - Blockley - where there is an exchange which has ADSL Max but no ADSL2 http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/WMBLO has the exchange details. It's on the "Under Evaluation" status on the Rural Broadband rollout list, with a possible date of sometime in 2015. http://www.fastershire.com/where-when?check=gl56%209es

I now have the phone number of the house we're to move to and turns out it's a direct to Exchange line which seems to be little but bad news from the point of view of getting Fibre. Premises 50 yards away are connected via a cabinet.

I shall have to install an extra line for my business - does anyone know the chances of getting BT to install this via a cabinet?

Many thanks
Standard User Icaras
(regular) Mon 09-Jun-14 22:40:58
Print Post

Re: Rural Exchange Only - will BT put in a cabinet line ?

[re: dde0apb] [link to this post]

Yes I'd say zero chance. The telephone pole that your house is connected to is directly fed from the exchange. The ducting doesn't go to a cabinet so it can't be done.

In some cases it is possible to connect a house to a pole that does go to a cabinet as a workaround but OR engineers are under instruction NOT to do this.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 09-Jun-14 23:01:49
Print Post

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

Zero chance, look for somewhere else to live that already has the speed of service you need.

Even if the plan was to connect it, plans might change

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User dde0apb
(newbie) Tue 10-Jun-14 06:21:48
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Zero chance, look for somewhere else to live that already has the speed of service you need.

Even if the plan was to connect it, plans might change

Thanks - don't have much choice about the house - it's a tied house with my wife's job...

The house on the other side of the narrow street is connected to a cabinet. Maybe the solution will be to ask them if I can pay for a line into theirs and stick a directional router in their front window!

But more seriously, it looks like we're going to rely on BT having a plan to do something with the EO lines, which they may or may not do, and since the exchange is under evaluation so no-one can tell us very much....
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 10-Jun-14 09:39:35
Print Post

Well Government is only aiming for 95% superfast for 2017 so this could be a long wait...98-99% in 2018 but there will be 4G and other stuff in that too.

In short no absolutes and a General Election where priorities might change

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-Jun-14 12:13:05
Print Post

A variety of snippets to help here:

In North Yorkshire, the exchanges currently listed as UE are small exchanges that were actually all originally listed as "FE" with FTTP as the solution (and all as part of BDUK); for those exchanges, being UE is actually a step backwards rather than a sign of increased hope. However, all those were smaller than your exchange.

BT have definitely been known to install a new PCP cabinet outside an exchange building in order to convert EO lines into cabinet ones, and solve the problem that way. However, that only works if the EO lines are local to the exchange.

BT have, in one village, planned to install two new PCP cabinets to handle EO lines. In that case, the most sensible thing to do would be to locate one cabinet outside the exchange for some cable bundles (to the west), and to locate the other cabinet 1km down the road, for the other bundles (to the east) - but it isn't known whether they're actually going to do the sensible thing, or just site two cabinets outside the exchange.

BT have mentioned the term of "CuRE" for "copper re-arrangement" within at least one BDUK project, with the explanation that this is to minimise copper distances so that the resulting VDSL service is more effective. I haven't seen a concrete example of this in practice.

However, we have seen some mention of the "copper re-arrangement" term being used to include re-routing bundles of EO lines into a nearby cabinet that has an FTTC twin (live or planned). Again, I don't think we have seen any live examples yet, but you'd expect this to be more likely to apply to longer EO lines that wouldn't benefit from a new cabinet outside the exchange.

But all of these processes of re-arrangement are things that BT will do with all pairs in the cable bundle, and all at the same time. It isn't a process they will do as a one-off for a single householder.
Standard User dde0apb
(newbie) Tue 10-Jun-14 20:46:33
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Only 2G at present where we're going frown
Standard User dde0apb
(newbie) Tue 10-Jun-14 20:48:28
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Thanks - helpful observations. My research on an Ordnance 1:1,250 map and using the Rural Broadband website suggests all the EO supplied premises are fairly close together and all close to the Exchange - logical but not, I suspect, predictable.
Standard User godsell4
(learned) Wed 11-Jun-14 13:11:46
Print Post

I would not abandon hope as WWWombat states.

It really depends on the geography of the area and how many of the other EO houses are either spread out or all next to each other.

PlusNet BBYW1
Standard User dde0apb
(newbie) Wed 11-Jun-14 17:12:01
Print Post

[re: godsell4] [link to this post]

All fairly close. Certainly contiguous. Wondering whether, if this situation hasn't be sussed yet whether a multi-signatory letter from EO customers might move them to sort the EO lines at the same time as FTTC.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to