General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User deiwise
(committed) Tue 10-Jun-14 22:22:15
Print Post

From 512k to fibre - your biggest increase on long lines?

[link to this post]

Hi,

I'm curious to see how many people on FTTC have achieved a dramatic improvement/uplift. My mum's broadband is about 750k in Devon, and her exchange will soon be fibre-enabled. The cabinet is far, far closer to her house than the exchange (which is 4km+ away), so her uplift could be 50 times greater in theory, or more.

Have any others here seen such dramatic changes? Long line to the exchange, but a much shorter run to the cabinet and therefore a revelation in speeds?

Would be fun to hear from rural places like her's, and see how fibre is transforming areas.

Will
Standard User IranianGiraffe
(regular) Tue 10-Jun-14 23:32:02
Print Post

Re: From 512k to fibre - your biggest increase on long lines

[re: deiwise] [link to this post]

I've gone from 2meg to 53meg (although now its down to 32) and a friend has gone from 1.5 to 75meg, both of us live in Devon and our exchange is in another village (estimated 5km away) but our cabinet was in ours and so obviously much closer.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 10-Jun-14 23:36:42
Print Post

I could give you some long line figures but seems you only interested in rural.

MY data is from sub 1mbit urban lines, the only rural lines I know off are sub 10db attenuation, to me the rural only long line thing is a myth, they in rural and urban locations.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User deiwise
(committed) Tue 10-Jun-14 23:54:06
Print Post

[re: IranianGiraffe] [link to this post]

Brilliant. Whereabouts in Devon?
Standard User deiwise
(committed) Tue 10-Jun-14 23:57:43
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

True, I'm biased towards rural! But there's a reason for rural locations being the last "connected" area of the UK, and that's the line length and topography. Of course long lines exist everywhere, but far fewer in urban areas which benefit from greater population and therefore demand for investment.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 11-Jun-14 01:54:14
Print Post

The existing ADSLx speed is completely irrelevant as it depends on distance from the exchange. FTTC speeds depend entirely on the copper distance between the FTTC cabinet and the premises.

Estimates for most lines on the Openreach commercial rollout are available from this checker, using either the phone number or address. The postcode checker option is not to be trusted.

That checker should give you the cabinet number the line is connected to, even if there is no FTTC estimate. Given the cabinet number you need to find it if there is no estimate.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 11-Jun-14 09:53:10
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

not completely irrelevant.

large distance on E side means more agressive adsl power cutback.

Standard User IranianGiraffe
(regular) Wed 11-Jun-14 10:37:43
Print Post

Exminster
Standard User jroadley
(newbie) Wed 11-Jun-14 11:58:53
Print Post

My parents are on a 1mb connection, and Exchange enabled for fibre. Once their cabinet is enabled (no ETA) they should get 45mb
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 12-Jun-14 02:01:42
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

The effect of the power cutback does change with (E-side) distance, but with a complicated interaction of the number of affected frequencies vs the actual power reduction for each frequency. So the longest E-sides get the highest power reductions, but over the smallest set of frequencies.

Judging from the tests specified by BT (for ISP-supplied modems) it appears to be the cabinets with medium-length E-sides that suffer most, longest-length E-sides suffer least with the shorter-length E-sides inbetween.

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/4317708-bt-si...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to